Chapter Three: The Pollywog

Chris and Mike were the first of their friend group at school that morning

Chris and Mike were the first of their friend group at school that morning. They stopped by their lockers first, then decided to head over to Mr. Clarke's class since science was their first class of the day.

On their way there, they ran into Max and Lucas.

"Hey!" The redhead smiled at Chris and her twin.

"Hi," Chris responded, feeling butterflies in her stomach over the way Max smiled.

Mike cleared his throat, and Chris awkwardly broke the gaze she and Max were holding.

"Should we go to class?" Mike asked.

"Oh. Right. Yeah. Let's go," Chris remembered.

They all took their seats, and not long after, Will walked in and joined them.

"Hey, where's Dustin?" Chris wondered out loud.

"He probably ate too much candy, went into a candy coma, and overslept," Will joked.

"Haha yeah, probably," Chris laughed but couldn't help but feel nervous.

Last time a party member was late, they all brushed it off, but it ended up being bad, as in alternate dimension, giant faceless monster bad.

The bell rang, interrupting Chris from her thoughts. She hadn't even realized the rest of the class and Mr. Clarke had filed in, and Mr. Clarke had set up the overhead projector.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head," he drew a line with a whiteboard marker through the projected picture of a skull. "Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that his friends that knew him started referring to him as 'No Longer Gage'. At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a –"

Mr. Clarke was cut off by the door being thrown open.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke," Dustin ran in, panting and out of breath. "Really. I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks."

Chris felt immediate relief wash over her knowing her friend wasn't in danger.

"Although, it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said."

Dustin huddled the party altogether and started whispering.

"We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club."

"Why?" Mike asked.

"I have something that you won't believe."

They all nodded and turned their attention back to the front of the class as Dustin turned around to face Max.