Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat

The party had brought Eleven back to the Wheeler house, and she was laying on her stomach on the basement couch

The party had brought Eleven back to the Wheeler house, and she was laying on her stomach on the basement couch. He feet were thrown over a pillow and Mike sat beside her.

"What was Will saying? Like home... like home... but dark?" Mike repeated Will's words.

"And empty," Lucas joined in.

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin tried to figure out.

"I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out."

Dustin sighed. "It's like riddles in the dark."

"Like home. Like his house?" Chris asked.

"Or maybe like Hawkins!" Lucas realized.

"Upside down," El whispered tiredly.

"What'd she say?"

"Upside down," Mike muttered.

"What?"

"Upside down," Mike walked over to the D&D board El had flipped. "When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty."

"Do either of you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asked Chris and Dustin.

"No," Dustin admitted.

"Kind of," Chris stated.

"Guys, come on. Think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah. And he wasn't there."

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side?" Chris realized.

Mike flipped the board right side up. "What if this is Hawkins and..." he flipped the board upside down, "this is where Will is. The upside down."

"Like the Vale of Shadows!" Dustin pointed out.

He grabbed the D&D book. "The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it."

"An alternate dimension..." Chris said in shock.

"But how do we get there?" Lucas questioned.

"You cast shadow walk."

"In real life, dummy," Chris rolled her eyes.

"We can't shadow walk, but... maybe she can," he looked over at El.

"Do you know how we get there? To the upside down?" Mike asked calmly.

El shook her head and Lucas sighed.

•••

That next day, Mike and Chris got out of bed slowly, knowing it'd be a long day. It was Will's funeral.