Chapter Seven: The Bathtub

Dustin sat on the basement couch with Chris as Mike helped clean up El in the bathroom

Chris was slowly dozing off when she heard someone speaking on the walkie talkie.

"Is that Lucas?" She turned to Dustin.

"I think so," Dustin gulped and ran to the bathroom to grab El and Mike.

"It's Lucas. I think he's in trouble..." Chris heard Dustin say as she tried to get a better signal to hear Lucas.

The three of them came running back.

"Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?"

"Yeah..." Mike sounded confused.

"What if he found it?" Chris joined in.

Mike grabbed the walkie talkie out of Chris's hands.

"What's he saying?"

"I don't know. He's way out of range," Chris pointed out.

There was more staticky talking, and all they could hear was Lucas saying, "son of a bitch!"

"Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you," Mike spoke.

All they could make out from the static was something about mad hen.

"Mad hen. Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name or something?" Dustin asked.

Lucas spoke again. This time they could hear him a little clearer.

"The bad men are coming!"

"Bad men! Stay here!" Mike told the group then ran upstairs, Chris and Dustin following him shortly after.

They looked out the window and saw a white van from "Hawkins Power and Light." A man was sitting inside, staring at the Wheeler residence.

"What's that guy doing?" Chris asked, concerned about their safety.

"You don't think..." Dustin trailed off, and Mike ran into the kitchen.

"Mom!" Mike interrupted his mother's phone call.

She held up her hand to tell him to hold on.

"Mom!" Chris yelled again.

"I'm sorry, can you just hold on, please?" She said into the phone before turning to Mike and Chris. "Michael, Christina, I'm on the phone. I've told you a million times –"

"Did you schedule any repairs?" Chris asked.

"What?"

"Is there anyone supposed to come and do repairs on the house?"

"I don't understand. Is there something wrong?"

"No, mom, nothing's wrong in the house."

Dustin ran into the kitchen.