Chapter Four: The Sauna Test

"now i know i'm falling in deep, cause i need you here with me"

Instead of Steve taking Chris back to her house, she asked the boy to take her to Max's, where she knew El would be sleeping over.

While El was in the bathroom changing and brushing her teeth, Max filler Chris in on everything she had learned.

"So, you're saying he was at Heather's house... baking cookies... and having dinner with her parents?" Chris clarified.

"Yes."

"Okay, Billy acting like a normal person? Yeah, something's definitely wrong with him."

"I agree. Billy's never acted this civilized. It just feels wrong," Max pointed out.

"For sure."

Their conversation was interrupted when El came back into the room.

Chris grabbed the pajamas Max had lent her and made her way into the bathroom to change.

The pajamas consisted of an over-sized t-shirt and a pair of shorts, both of which smelled like Max and made Chris smile.

When she got back to the room, El and Max were lying in bed about to read a Wonder Woman comic book.

Chris opted to lay directly on Max, body between her legs, and head on her stomach as the redhead read.

•••

Chris was awoken early the next morning by Lucas' voice coming through Max's radio. He was repeating something about a code red.

Max grabbed the radio, "shut up."

She turned it off and threw it back onto the floor, cuddling back up with Chris.

Less than two minutes later, Max's landline was ringing.

"You've got to be kidding me," Max scoffed.

Chris day up so that Max could answer the phone.

"I'm sleeping. Go away!" She half-yelled into the phone.

Chris heard the faint mumbling of her brother's voice on the other end of the line.

"What are you talking about?"

There was more mumbling before Max put the phone down.

"What did he say?" El asked.

Max explained that Mike, Lucas, and Will had discovered something that could put all of their lives in danger.

Max walked out of the room to get dressed, and just as the door closed, the phone rang again.

Chris got up and picked up the phone.

"What do you want this time, Mike?" She said, annoyed.

"Uhh... not Mike. It's Steve."

"Steve? Why are you calling Max?"