Chapter Five: Dig Dug

Chris sat crying in Eleven's broken down fort for what felt like hours until she heard her father talking to someone at the door

Chris sat crying in Eleven's broken down fort for what felt like hours until she heard her father talking to someone at the door. She listened closer and realized it was Dustin.

Chris made her way to the top of the stairs to see what was going on.

"Your line has been busy for over two hours, Mr. Wheeler," she heard Dustin say. "Do you realize this?"

"Oh, I do realize."

"Is Mike home? Or Chris?"

Mr. Wheeler shook his head.

"No? Well, where the hell are they?"

"Karen, where're our twins?" Mr. Wheeler yelled.

"Will's!" Chris heard her mom yell back, and she couldn't help but feel a bit hurt that her parents had no clue that she was, in fact, at home.

"Will's," Mr. Wheeler repeated.

"No one's picking up there," Dustin signed. "Nancy. What about Nancy?"

"Karen, where's Nancy?" Mr. Wheeler yelled again.

"Ally's!"

"Ally's," Mr. Wheeler repeated for the second time. "Our children don't live here anymore. You didn't know that?"

"Seriously?"

"Am I done here?"

"Son of a bitch. You're really no help at all, you know that?" Dustin started walking away.

"Hey! Language!" Mr. Wheeler yelled after him.

Right as he shut the door, Chris walked into the living room.

"Y'know I've been here for several hours now and neither of you even knew I was home? Unbelievable," Chris rolled her eyes as she walked out the front door, not waiting to hear what her father had to say.

"Hey, Dustin! Wait up!" She yelled, running after him.

"Wha – Chris? Your dad told me you weren't home."

"Yeah well he was wrong," she sighed. "What's the problem? Why do you need us?" Chris asked, suddenly feeling concerned.

Before Dustin could answer, none other than Steve Harrington drove up.

They dropped their bikes and ran over to him as he was walking up to the front door carrying flowers and muttering to himself.

"Steve," Dustin called. "Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?"

"No..." Steve answered confused.

"Good," Chris said as she grabbed the flowers out of Steve's hand.

"Hey! What the hell? Hey!" Steve yelled after Chris as she started walking to his car.

"Nancy isn't home," she answered.

"Where is she?"

"Doesn't matter. We apparently have bigger problems than your love life with my sister."

"Do you still have that bat?" Dustin butted in.

"Bat? What bat?"

"The one with the nails."

"Why?"

"I'll explain on the way," Dustin promised as he climbed into the front seat.

"You know what this is about?" Steve asked Chris.

"I have an idea. I just really hope I'm wrong."

Chris and Steve followed Dustin's lead and climbed into the car.