everything i wanted

Chris waited until everyone was asleep before she grabbed her backpack out from her closet and shoved some random clothes in it, followed by her toothbrush, deodorant, hairbrush, and anything else she thought she'd need.

She was running away.

Well, not exactly. But Chris figured she'd be kicked out after what she was about to do, so she decided to get a head start on things.

Grabbing a paper and a pen, she thought carefully about what she was going to say. Finally, after thinking for almost fifteen minutes, she drafted out the perfect note.

Dear mom and dad,

Technically this note is for the entire family, but Nancy and Mike already know what I'm about to say, and Holly can't read yet, so, therefore, I am addressing it to you. So I guess I'll just come right out and say it.

I like girls.

I like girls so much that I even have a girlfriend, who will remain nameless to save her from being outted.

I don't know how you guys will feel about this, but I don't want to deal with the lectures about how being gay is a choice and how I'm choosing the wrong lifestyle. Because the truth is, I cannot control who I am or who I like. Even if I could, I wouldn't change a thing. But I know you'll probably disagree with this, which is why I'm leaving home.

I'm not telling you where I'm going, so please don't try to look for me. I don't want to know what your reactions to this are. I'd rather hang on to the small sliver of hope I have that you guys will be supportive.

I guess I'll leave it at this, then.

I love you guys, and hopefully, I'll be able to see you again.

-Chris

Chris did one final read-through of her note before folding it and grabbing her backpack. Slipping on a pair of shoes, she made her way downstairs and placed the note on the kitchen table before leaving through the front door.

She grabbed her bike and took off toward the one house she knew would always have an open bedroom.

——

As Chris arrived at her destination, she knocked thrice at the door, and minutes later, someone answered.

"Chris? What're you doing here?" Steve Harrington asked, standing aside to let her in.

Chris was surprised that he was awake so late. The house seemed so empty, and she figured that Steve's parents were out of town again.

"Can I stay here for a while?" She asked, hopefully.

"How long is 'a while'?"

"Uh... indefinitely..." Chris trailed off, suddenly extremely interested in picking at the skin around her nails.

"Yeah—sure—I mean, you're always welcome here, but can I ask why?" Steve stammered, taken by surprise.

"I came out to my parents."

Steve led Chris to the couch, and the two of them sat down.

"Shit, kid. Did they kick you out?" He asked, concern lacing his voice.

"I don't know..."

"What?" Steve questioned. "How do you not know?"

"I didn't exactly tell them face-to-face," Chris admitted, feeling slightly stupid. "I wrote them a note and then left. I mean, they most likely would've kicked me out anyways. I just didn't want to have to deal with them actually disowning me."