Chapter Eight

Aaron's P.O.V.

It's been two weeks since Charles and I started our spy Mission at Base 1776, and by the end of day one, I started to hate it. Having to lie about running away from the Humans, running away at random times with Charles to report some personal information, like James and Alex being Humans and them going out with Winged. On the other hand, I've made some good friends here, which sucks because at some point they're gonna find out about us being spies and then they'll hate me. James and Thomas are super nice, apparently, they were badly hurt when we arrived but they soon recovered due to some potions Theodosia the medic made. Oh man, Theodosia. Her cyan wings are beautiful and her eyes just sparkle with happiness. I've developed a crush on her, which again sucks cus y'know, I'm a spy. I sigh and walk into the barracks, looking for someone to talk to. I smile when I see Thomas and James hanging out on a bench.

"Hey, guys!" I say cheerfully. They wave and James greets me happily. We start to talk about any old stuff, like soldiers who act weird (Carl) to soldiers who are just boring. Thomas starts talking about how annoying Alexander is and I listen intently. He is kinda annoying but can be nice at times. Then again, sometimes I just wanna stab him. Just- stab him in in the-ANYWAY. I notice Charles walking over, frowning as usual. I groan silently. It's complicated. Okay it's not, Charles and I used to be a thing till the war started and he wanted to kill all the Winged. I was like 'No dude' but then this mission started and I'm stuck with him. I raise an eyebrow as he comes near.

"C'mon Aaron, I have some 'errands' to do and I need your help." He says, grabbing my arm. Thomas pulls him off and shoves him to the ground.

"Woah woah, lately you've been having a lot of 'errands'. What's up with that, Charles?" He demands.

"Yeah, Charles." James chimes in timidly. I stand in shock. They...care? They've noticed that Charles has been dragging me off a lot lately. 'Errands' is just a code word for 'I have some dirt we gotta tell the Humans lets go'. Ugh, I have to step in.

"No, guys it's fine, but thanks for noticing that." I chuckle. I help Charles up and head off into the forest.

"Okay, so they trust you a lot now, that's great!" Charles exclaims, clearly not bothered by the fact that Thomas shoved him earlier. And that yesterday even James pushed him away a little bit. I roll my eyes before answering,

"Yeah, and they seem to really hate you."

"Really? I haven't noticed. I guess I've been too busy-"

"Uh, too busy thinking about how you can ruin their lives," I interrupt. "This is why I broke up with you, Charles. You care way too much about work and pleasing the King." I elbow him before walking a bit faster. He stays quiet, which is good. I don't really wanna hear his voice right now. Or ever. We reach a small Human base, which was made for us to report back to when we have information. It's quite close to a river, the one Thomas told me James was found on. I really need more details on that...if only James didn't want to talk about it. We enter it and Charles grabs a piece of paper and starts writing the info he got ahold on. The reason we both need to be here is that we both have to sign the letter. I keep watching through the gaps in the dirt when I see someone emerging from the bushes. I squint my eyes, straining to make out their face. My eyes widen as they face the area I'm in. Theodosia. She examines some plants, and from what I see isn't leaving anytime soon. Oh dear.

"Uh, Charles? Theo's out there, and she doesn't look like she's leaving." I call back. Charles curses and stands up, placing the letter in my hands. "Don't swear Charles." I chide him and he rolls his eyes. I sign the letter and hand it back to him. He places it back on the desk. We come up with a plan and exit through the back door. I sneak around and start to walk to Theodosia.