Chapter Fifteen

Thomas's P.O.V.

Usually, during storms I sleep like a baby, but not through this one. And not just because I'm lying on the hard floor. Throughout the night I kept tossing and turning, anger and fear running around my mind with a pinch of insanity. Gosh, James doesn't understand that I just- That I just feel like-

"Hey! Wake up y'all!" I hear a gruff voice outside of our tent. I recognize it t be Herc. "The watchers from last night spotted Human scouts, so we're thinking that they must be attacking today. Why else would they scout the area? Thomas, I need your help to-" Hercules walks in and sees John lying on MY mattress. "John? Oh, hey...HEY! Johnny, I need help with all our soldiers, I fear they may feel frightened on the impending attack, so wanna come?" Hercules smiles and so does John, so I just roll over and scowl. At least I'll finally have James to myself. I guess. John follows out with Hercules. To be honest, I hope John feels better soon. Despite what James thinks, I don't hate the guy.

"Thomas? Are you awake?" James says, his voice slightly wary but still the one I love. I grunt, still not turning over to see him. "Oh. Good. Well, I just wanted to um... make sure you're alright with John staying over with us. You seemed really upset last night and-"

"It's not that, James," I say, and I'm surprised at the softness of my tone. I can hear James nervously fidgeting on his mattress.

"Ah. W-well, would you like to talk about how you feel?" James inquires. I slowly sit up and shrug. Feels weird to be in a fight with James.

"I guess? I don't really know how I feel myself," We share an awkward chuckle. I suppose James takes that as a sign that the fight is over because he scoots right over and snuggles up to my chest. I wince and lightly push him away. "See James, there's the problem right there," I start sheepishly, scratching the back of my head. "You always make it about yourself. Whenever you're sad, I have to cheer you up. Whenever you're scared, I have to be there to comfort you and cuddle you. But when I'm scared or sad? You...you-you barely even notice." My voice catches a bit and I take a shallow breath. "I-I get that you had a scarring past, but sometimes I feel that you... that you only love the idea of me, not actually me," I finish altogether in a rush. James is quiet and still. I bite my lip. I don't want to break up but...but right now this relationship is toxic and one-sided.

"Oh, Thomas, I had no idea," James murmurs. "I'm so sorry for making you feel like that! Listen, of course I notice! I just don't know what to do, what to say, when you're feeling down. And, I LOVE YOU FOR YOU!" He exclaims. James looks at the slight scowl on my face and quickly adds; "To prove my undying love to a certain Thomas Jefferson," He announces dramatically. "From now on I shall try my very, very best to be a good boyfriend!" James smiles. "So that means a hug for my sad boyfriend." James leaps over to me and hugs me tight. I sniffle happily. We both want this relationship to continue. James is willing to change to make this work. I'm willing to change to make this work. Oh my gosh, this is so great-

A horn blows, the sound of it echoing through the camp. James pulls away, his eyes full of confusion and fear.

"Thomas, does that mean-"

"Yup. The Humans are here," I say, trying to keep a steady voice. James intertwines our fingers, and I turn to look at him.

"We'll be fine Thomas. I'll be here for you." James remarks determinedly.

"And I'll be here for you," I repeat, squeezing his hand. We grab our emergency weapons from the side of the tent and we exit the tent. I see Hercules flying around shouting orders to soldiers around us. A soldier runs past us, completely forgetting that he has wings. Hercules turns and sees us, and for a brief moment, we hold eye contact.