Chapter Forty Six

James's P.O.V.

I wake up before Thomas and enjoy the sound of Newtide bustling outside. It's officially been a week since the surrender of the Humans, Thomas and I have returned to live in Newtide, where I can continue my job of being an assistant to Queen Charlotte. I've also been a bit of a bodyguard, which is quite humorous.

That reminds me, Charlotte wanted to have lunch with Thomas and me today. I suppose Isaac will be there too.

I decide to get up and make a light breakfast. Not much, just some porridge. A few minutes later, Thomas comes limping into the kitchen.

"How's the new leg going, Tommy?" I peer over at him. Thomas chose to get a fake leg, and Peggy helped us get it. Measuring his leg, foot, and everything, she even paid for it at the shop!

Thomas limps over to me and hugs me from behind, resting his chin on my head. "Well, at least it gets me out of service! It's been a bit of a pain, actually," He says, the last part a bit softer. Because of his injury, Thomas doesn't have to serve in the army anymore. And because I'm Human, I never had to in the first place.

"I'll help you, then. But most of the time, you can fly, can't you?" I smile as I pour the porridge into two bowls.

"I can't fly in our house, James! Do you want me to break everything?" Thomas laughs.

"No, that would not be ideal," I chuckle, and we go on to eat breakfast.

"So," I start, between mouthfuls of porridge. "Today, Charlotte and Isaac wanted us to have lunch with them. I checked a sundial just now, we still have about three hours. What do you want to do?"

"Jobhunting," Thomas says. "More of an all-day thing, but you can't be the only one with a job in this house. Most likely, my Father will force me to work in the family business." He rolls his eyes.

"But maybe now he'll give you a choice," I point out. Thomas shrugs.

"Yeah. Most likely, he will." He says softly, with quite a big smile on his face. I smile.

*****

"James, Thomas! So glad to see you two again!" Charlotte greets us, and we walk into her cosy, small house. "And Thomas, so glad to properly meet you. That day on the battlefield was far too short," She says. I smile and thank her for having us for lunch.

We sit down and start eating when Isaac walks in. He apologises for being late and joins us.

Everything feels so right. I don't have to be paranoid on whether a Human is going to sneak up on me, I don't have to worry about Thomas any more than I already do, and Newtide is as beautiful as it was before.

"So, how long have you two been dating?" Isaac asks, winking at Thomas.

"Erm, since about the beginning of the war," Thomas answers. Charlotte sighs.

"Wow. That must've been hard. Because, you know, you two haven't experienced your relationship outside of wartime."

"Yeah, we haven't," I say sadly. "But, the pros are that we know we would do anything for each other," I smile at Thomas.

"We even had a bit of a game during the Final Battle, where we would see how many times one could save the other," Thomas adds on. "By the way, this chicken is amazing!"

"Thanks!" Isaac replies with a smile on his face.

"That's adorable!" Charlotte says right after. "Well, what are your plans?"

"For like, our lives, or for this afternoon?" Thomas says with a silly grin.

"Mm, both," Isaac answers, taking a bite of chicken. I look over at Thomas for a second.