Chapter Twelve

John's P.O.V.

My eyes flutter open as the sound of birds chirping wakes me from my slumber. Those flipping birds. Why do they always have to wake me up? Hm, what should I do today? Alexander is finding all books he can and reading them for 'fun,' but perhaps I could go annoy Herc and Laffy. Hehe, I'm so evil. I sit up and stretch my wings a little before getting up for the day. Alex is still asleep of course, I wonder who else is up.

I land silently next to Laffy's tent, knowing him Hercules probably spent the night there. I clear my throat as quietly as I can. Here we go.

"HEY GUYS WHATCHA UP TO-wait, hold on..." I burst into Laf's tent, expecting to see the two all cuddled up somewhere but...there's no one here. I frown. Weird. Maybe they both got up early? No, no, that can't be. They both tend to sleep late into the morning, that's why I love to annoy them by waking them up super early. I shouldn't make assumptions though. I think I'll go search for them, just make sure they're fine.

*****

It's official. Lafayette and Hercules are missing. I've searched all over camp, got Thomas and James to help me, I even pulled Alex away to help. They're gone. Our General and his boyfriend are gone. We're all stood in the barracks, trying to figure out what to do.

"Oh gosh, what are we going to do!?" James shivers, pacing around the area. Thomas is drumming his fingers on the table while Alex is frowning intensely at the ground.

"We've got to find them, obviously." Alexander sighs. "But how? We've got nowhere to start, and even if we did, we still need someone to run Base 1776 while we look for them." Thomas snorts and we all turn to look at him. "What?" Alexander says, his voice dripping with annoyance.

"Screw that and you. We have to go look for them! Listen, remember when we found out about Aaron and Charles being spies? That area we went to, I bet the Humans temporary base is near there." Thomas smiles, and a determined glint shines in his eyes. James's eyes light up as he walks behind Thomas.

"We have a location," He says excitedly. "What next, John?" I blink a couple times before I realise he's talking to me.

"Huh? Me? Why're you asking me?" I exclaim, surprised, and maybe a bit touched.

"O-oh! Well, I just assumed since you and Herc were pretty close, that now you would be in charge." James stammers. I stare at him. So, am I now leading these people? I guess I am. I clear my throat.

"Alright then, all of us will go, and the Schuyler sisters will remain in charge. Uh, Thomas, can you speed over there and-"

"On it." And with that, Thomas spreads his wings and flies off. In the wrong direction. A few seconds later he rounds back and passes us with a sheepish smile on his face. James giggles and Alexander rolls his eyes.

"Okay, we'll just wait for him to get back then we'll leave," I say. James sits in Thomas's place and starts drumming his fingers on the table. Wasn't Thomas just doing that? Huh, it's cute to see James taking on Thomas's mannerisms. I wonder if I've taken on any of Alexander's.

*****

Okay, we've started the rescue mission and we're approaching the area. I'm carrying Alex, and Thomas is carrying James. Because Alexander is so heavy and I'm not as strong as I think I am, we've had to take plenty of quick breaks. I strain my arms as we finally land near the suspected area. Thomas and James land beside us, and Thomas points at the hill nearby.

"I think that should be it, and-"

"Shh!" Alexander hisses. "Do you want us to be caught, Jefferson?" Thomas narrows his eyes at him, before continuing to talk in a quieter tone.