A Secret Revealed By: penguinlover17

"Mr. Parker!" the English teacher bellowed. All around her, the whole class was snickering at Peter Parker's predicament. "Mr. Parker, wake up, now!"

"Five more minutes," Peter moaned. The class laughed even harder, especially Flash Thompson.

Flash Thompson could be called the school's resident bully, and his favorite target used to be Peter. He had loosened up on him after Peter's uncle Ben's death. Hey, Flash might be a jerk, but he knew how it felt to lose someone.

So, they were sort of friends now, Flash supposed. Peter didn't really talk to him that much; he mostly spent time around Gwen Stacy, Flash's tutor. Gwen was a good tutor, she wasn't impatient and she explained things like formulas and symbols well. Peter was pretty much the nerdy guy, except for one thing: he didn't look like nerd, as much as the jocks hated to admit. Even the head cheerleader, Olivia Bennett, thought he was cute. So the question was: why didn't he talk to other girls?

Peter was shy and bookish, but that just got people more interested in him. But he was strong. Flash figured that out the day he tried to comfort Peter about his uncle's death and Puny Peter Parker had 'pushed' him against the lockers and 'held' him up. Then Peter had completely annihilated the backboard of the basketball hoop in the gym when he pushed Flash aside to shove the ball (which he refused to give to Flash) through the hoop.

All things put aside, Peter Parker was an enigma. He had stopped wearing long-sleeved jackets, mostly because it was winter (didn't the guy ever get cold?) and Gwen stole them from him. Occasionally, he wore hoodies, but he took those off in the classroom. At first, teachers had tried to persuade him to wear warmer clothing, but he repeatedly assured them that he was fine and he didn't feel too cold. Eventually, the teachers just left him alone. What surprised everyone was that Parker actually had muscles, and they were more defined than any of the jocks' muscles on the football team, including Flash's. Why had he hidden them before? 

And now this: falling asleep during class. Actually, Flash thought, this was the first time Peter had ever not been paying attention to the words that were coming out of Ms. Kelly's mouth. Parker was smart, there was no doubt about that, and the main thing that had made Flash pick on him was that everything came so effortlessly to him, and he didn't even need to pay attention, but he did anyway. Also, he might have heard the girl he had a crush on talking about how cute Parker was.

So, now, Flash was sitting in 6th period, English class, silently musing on the changes that had occurred in Peter Parker. The guy even had a girlfriend now!

Flash was pulled out of his thoughts when he heard Gwen's soft voice saying, "Peter, get up now. You're in school, and we do not want anyone to know what happened..." Flash only heard this much since he was so close to them. What had happened to Parker? Was he getting beat up? Was he into drugs? Flash immediately dismissed the last theory; Parker was a smart guy, he wouldn't take drugs. So what was up with him?

"Peter, Peter," Gwen kept saying, and she nudged him gently with her hand, pale fingers brushing through the messy brown disarray that was Peter's hair. Finally, one of Flash's friends, Chase, who wasn't too fond of Parker (he had wanted to, ah, do Gwen, but she had rejected him), walked over to the sleeping boy and the fretting blond, and whacked Peter with his English Grammar textbook. "Mr. Masters, that wasn't necessary," Ms. Kelly scolded him.

Chase ignored her and took another swing. Flash winced; Chase was strong and he could crack another boy's skull, it was a wonder that he hadn't managed to break Peter's yet. Suddenly, a long-fingered hand, thick with callous, grabbed the textbook and the arm of the wielder along with it, and flipped Chase into the blackboard.

There was a moment of silence. Chase weighed 160 pounds and most seventeen year old boys should only be able to bench press till about 150 pounds. Some of the boys on the football team hadn't even managed that. But Peter Parker just did, in front of his English class, and he was asleep and with one arm. Slowly, every head in the classroom turned to Peter who just shifted in his sleep and returned to snoring softly, nestling his head against Gwen's hand, which had stopped combing through his hair a little while ago.