13

"Would you like more to drink?" Emilia asked Jaxton warmly.

He looked up from his cup, lost in his thoughts and the flavor. "Oh! Um, yes please... It's really good. I didn't even know tea grew on mountains."

"At the foothills, it's worth picking though." Lavern told him as he wiped his mouth.

Everyone had already eaten, but with Jaxton being weak it was insisted that he fill up and then too, overflow. He knew it was necessary but he felt awkward being the only one eating. He could also sense tension in the air among his friends. While Deyja seemed distant with him, Li kept his distance from Deyja and Ezeriah and Deyja both stayed away from each other.

He took another bite from his stew."I imagine so."

He thanked Emilia as she poured him more to drink. "So you call Ez's mark The Seal as in the ancient official stamp?"

"Yes," Emilia told him. "The Seal, like the president's seal at their office. Passed on as a stamp, as you said. Property of the government."

"President?" Deyja frowned.

"It was the name of the leader back then." Yelun filled her in.

"There's multiple markings, though. Hers is the only one with the circle." Li spoke up.

"Yes, it means she's finished." Emilia nodded.

"Finished what?" Jaxton asked in bewilderment.

"Treatment." Lavern said grimly.

"So, why was she put in the Bay?" Li asked.

"I don't know, but I think they were hardly surprised that she lived." Lavern responded, looking at Ezeriah as he thought.

"A test." Emilia frowned.

"Possibly," Lavern held her hand. "Maybe seeing how far she could be pushed... Or maybe she was pushed to far and she really was left to die. I've looked more at The Seal, and she has all factions. Too powerful. Kill her off."

The candlelight's seemed to dim and the room grew more frigid.

"So why wait until we're on the edge of going into new territory and then ambush us?" Li couldn't figure it out.

"I'm assuming they were watching the entire time. My guess is, they just wanted to see what all she could do. Monitor her, play a little." Lavern shrugged.

Ziof studied Ezeriah who seemed uncomfortable with the discussion on her. "So the marking on her is no good? How do we help her? And if they were monitoring her, they had to hav when monitoring us. So, how do we help ourselves?"

"Don't go back to Academy territory." Lavern chewed slowly. "Many others on this side left the Academy and would gladly help you guys. You'll need to stay hidden for quite a while."

Ziof and Jaxton locked eyes.

"Left the Academy?" Jaxton still held eyes with Ziof.

"As in, hates them?" Ziof finished.

"Well, yes. Fleeing a brutal government. Some were forced into intensive labor and punishments that can't be forgiven." Emilia told them sympathetically. "Hatred runs deep."

"Hatred enough to start a revolution?" Jaxton raised a brow.

Lavern chuckled. "Well. Most are poor farmers just trying to protect their family. Get out past the desert and you may find some fearless souls."