Who Knew || Jin One Shot

~Jin~

I had seen her several times throughout the city: at the store, at a restaurant, on the street, and now at the library. She immediately caught my eye the first time I walked passed her. She was more than beautiful, but every time I saw her she was alone. Guys would cat call her and she would ignore them. She seemed to operate in her own little world and I had no idea how to break through.

I was sitting there at my desk in the library trying to figure out how to talk to her. I didn't want to come off like one of the many guys I've witness try to hit on her, but I couldn't figure out how to stand out. That's when she got up and walked past me, and as she did a small bag slipped through her arms and fell to the floor. She didn't seem to notice it, so I took this chance to talk to her. I picked up the bag and chased after.

"Hey!" I called to her as she got to the door. She turned to look at me and her eyes grew wide when she saw the bag. "You dropped this," I said kindly. I handed it to her and she took it gently from my hands.

"Thank you," she said and gave me a wide smile. "I think I've seen you before."

I nodded. "We frequent a lot of the same places," I mentioned casually and rubbed the back of my neck. "Anyway I'm Jin."

"It's nice to meet you Jin," she said softly. "I'm Mae. I suppose I'll see you around." And with that she walked out of the library and down the street.

Things pretty much continued like normal after that. We'd pass each other on the street. I'd walk into the coffee shop as she left, but now she'd wave at me and give me a smile. I'd smile back and she'd walk away before I had the chance to say anything. I could never seem to time when I showed up to our usual spots right. I just wanted to talk to her, but I was never given the chance. Part of me wondered what the point was, I didn't really know her, but something about her was fascinating. Who knew that some girl I barely knew could capture my attention like this.

After a couple weeks of missing her by a hair I finally decided just to get to the coffee shop when it opened and wait for her. I knew I probably looked crazy to the employees but I didn't care. I was gonna talk to her this time. I waited for hours, but she never showed and I was getting really tired. I didn't even realize I had dozed off until one of the employees tapped me on the shoulder.

"Dude some girl just told me to give you this note after she got her coffee." He handed me the note and headed back to work.

I unfolded it and quickly read what was in the small piece of paper. It only said two things.

[I] Pond. 2:00

I glanced down at my watch and realized I had ten minutes to get the pond. I quickly grabbed my jacket and headed out the door.

I managed to get to the pond with three minutes to spare. I looked around and tried to find Mae, but she wasn't in sight. The only people around was another couple sitting on a bench across the pond. I sighed and glanced at my watch again. She had a minute left until it was two. I hoped this wasn't some prank.

"Did you have a nice nap?" I jumped at the sudden sound of her voice and turned to face her. She had a smile on her face as she walked up to me. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear as she looked up to meet my eyes. "We're you waiting for someone?"

I laughed nervously. "Um y-yeah sort of." I cleared my throat. "You see there's this girl I met. She's beautiful."

Mae nodded and smirked. "Oh really? Tell me about her."

"I don't know much," I began. "I pass by her a lot. And everytime I go to talk to her she's already moving on to her next destination. Thing is I don't really know how to talk to her. She's always being approached by guys and she turns them all down." I smiled at her. "She's something else. I can't get her out of my head."

"She's sounds incredible," Mae said softly.

"Yeah," I agreed. "You are."

She blushed and I felt my heart race. "You're something else too," she said as she twiddle a piece of her hair around her finger. "I've never had a guy wait for me at a coffee shop all day."

Now it was my turn to blush. "How'd you know?"

"The barista told me you had been there all day. I just put two and two together." She sat down on a nearby bench and patted the spot next to her which I happily filled. "I haven't been able to get you out of my head either," she said suddenly. "I tried to. I tried to brush you off as one of the many guys who always approached me but something about you was different."

"What made you leave that note?" I found myself asking.

"You waited all day for me," she replied. "No one has ever done that. And I just did it." She laughed. "Who knew huh? I never thought I'd be doing this." She gestured around us. "But since you have my attention, I'd love to get to know you." She looked up at me with hopeful eyes. "If you want the same thing."

I nodded enthusiastically and we just started talking about ourselves. I found that it was extremely easy to talk to her. We had so much in common too: same taste in music, same taste in books, same sense of humor. We wound up talking for hours, and before we realized it it was getting dark.

She looked up at the moon and I swear I had never seen a more beautiful person in my entire life. I was still shocked that someone who two weeks ago I had never spoken to could have this effect on me.

"Who knew," she whispered softly. I almost didn't hear it.

"What was that?" I asked.

She smiled. "Who knew that I'd feel so giddy and nervous over a guy I just met? Who knew it would be so easy to talk to you?" She threw her hands up in the air. "Who knew I'd get these butterflies."

I took her hand in mine and she looked over at me nervously. I gave her a soft smile and cupped her cheek with my hand. "Fate works in mysterious ways," I said softly.

She closed her eyes and put her hand over the one I had on her cheek. "Thank you," she said.

I raised an eyebrow. "For what?"

"For not being like everyone else." She leaned forward and kissed my cheek. "I should probably go, it's getting late. But maybe I'll see you tomorrow for coffee? Say around one?"

I nodded and squeezed her hand. "Of course."

She handed me her phone and I immediately put my number in it. She gave me a sweet smile and waved at me as she walked away.

"Sleeping in the library?" Her voice snapped me back into reality. I jumped and realized that it was all a dream. I looked up from my desk and realized it was her standing in front of me. "I was going to ask if I could see that book when you're done." She pointed at the book in front of me that I had fallen asleep on.

I blushed and nodded. "Yeah of course. Your name is Mae right?"

Her eyes went wide. "Yeah, how'd you know? Have we met?"

I shrugged casually. "Lucky guess I suppose. Actually I've just seen you around." I smiled at her and handed her the book.

"Thats right. You're the guy I see at the coffee shop everyday. " she smiled. "Thanks for the book. You sure you don't need it?"

I shook my head. "I'm good." She turned to walk away, and I knew I couldn't lose this moment. "Hey Mae."

She turned to face me. "Yes?"

"Would you like to get coffee with me?"

Her smile widened and she nodded. "I thought you'd never ask."

We traded numbers and I had never felt more accomplished. Maybe dreams really do come true, who knew?