That Should Be Me || Namjoon One Shot

~Namjoon~

There is no pain worse than watching the woman you love be with someone else. The ache you feel in your heart at night when you're trying to sleep is unbearable. This was the pain I was enduring every minute Kayla laid in the arms of her boyfriend. Every time I saw them together it was like someone was slowly pushing needles into my heart, and all I could do was sit back and watch. All I could do was sit and listen as my best friend went on and in about a guy that I knew wasn't good for her when I knew that it should me loving her. That it should be me giving her endless kisses and making her happy.

Kayla and I had been friends for as long as I could remember, and even though her boyfriend hated it she always dedicated at least one entire day a week to me. I never knew what it was about me that he hated so much, but I just chalked it up to jealousy. I enjoyed the days we spent hanging out.

Today was one of those days. Kayla and I had decided to just spend part of the day at the mall and do some minor shopping. Well, I did some minor shopping. Kayla had multiple bags filled with clothes or jewelry of some kind. I wasn't a big shopping fan, but I was happy as long as I was with Kayla.

"I'll never understand why you don't like shopping, she said to me as she dipped in her lemonade. We had decided to get lunch, so we took Kayla's bags to the car and found a restaurant in a nice strip mall to eat at.

"I just don't need so much stuff," I said teasingly. "Not like you." I winked at her and she laughed. I felt my heart flutter in my chest at the sound of it. It was so light and soft, I could listen to her laugh all day.

"Joonie, you just need to find the right store." She got up and kissed my cheek. "I left my cell phone in the car. I'll be right back."

I nodded at her and watched as she walked out the diner. I quickly got up and went over to pay for both of our meals before she could come back and try to stop me. The line wasn't too long, but by the time I had paid and gotten back to the table Kayla still wasn't there. So I decided to look for her.

When I walked out I saw her. She had a look of utter shock on her face as she stared into one of the other restaurant windows. I walked over to her to see what was wrong and my eyes went wide. Her boyfriend was sitting in the other restaurant having lunch with some other girl. They were sitting way closer than necessary and he was whispering in her ear and caressing her face.

I could see the tears in Kayla's eyes and I was consumed with anger, before I realized what I was doing I marched into the restaurant and punch him in the face.

"Namjoon!" I heard Kaya cry.

I turned to look at her, and her boyfriend lunged at me and clocked me in the face as well. Instantly, Kayla was between us and started leading me out the restaurant and toward the car. Once we were alone she grabbed the first aid kit I kept in the trunk and immediately started cleaning up my busted lip.

"Namjoon I can't believe you did that," she said softly.

I gave her a smile. "I was just furious that he would cheat on you, Kay. You are absolutely perfect and he's a fool for not seeing that."

Her eyes sparkled at my words and a light blush crept onto her cheeks. "Thanks Joonie," she whispered. After she finished cleaning me up she put the first aid kit away and sighed. "I had a feeling he was cheating," she admitted. "We haven't been good lately. We fight all the time. Mostly about you."

I looked up and her eyes met mine. "Me?"

She nodded. "He hates how much time I spend with you. But there is no way I'm gonna cut you out of my life." She gave me a hug. "You're the only person who had always been there for me. My next boyfriend is gonna have to be like you."

"Or he could be me," I blurted out without thinking. This time I was the one blushing like mad. "I-I'm sorry I don't know what I'm-" Kayla cut me off by placing her lips over mine. I nearly melted from how soft and full they were.

When she pulled away she gave me a meek smile. "I have always liked you," she said softly. "But I thought you didn't like me. That's why I went out with Jae. It why he hates you. He can tell how much I care for you."

I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her close to me. "I've liked you for a long time too." I smiled down at her and she poked one of my dimples with her finger. The action was followed by her lighthearted laugh, and I nearly melted right there. I brushed a strand of hair from her eyes and she beamed up at me happily. "Let's get out of here," I whispered in her ear.

She nodded in agreement. "Where will we go? I won't make you go shopping again." She giggled and got in the car.

I leaned over and kissed her cheek. "So long as I'm with you, I don't care."