Chapter 9

I couldn't stop myself. So here's another update ^_^

Aedion read the letter again, and again, and again. At first he thought to be some kind of hoax, but it was a very convincing letter. And now he was sitting here with a letter written by the legend himself, and was addressing directly.

His childhood hero, his idol, knew the whereabouts of his missing queen. He didn't quite know what to do with that information, since he would be stationed in the north with the Bane until spring. And there was no way to know if this letter truly came from the ancient warrior either.

But a part of him did believe it, and for the first time in nine years he let himself hope that Aelin had made it that night.

In the privacy of his tent Aedion lit a match and burned the letter to ash.

_______________________________________

While leaning against Gavins sarcophagus Dorian Havilliard raked his fingers through his hair in pure frustration.

One moment he had been flying with Manon into battle against the Valg, the next he was on his way to Suria with Chaol and some other nobles. He had tried to talk to Chaol about it, but apparently he doesn't remember a thing.

When the vacation to Suria was over and they had arrived back in Rifthold, the had been in upheaval. Someone had annihilated the Crime Lord and his entire operation, and then some weeks later the assassins guild had been hit as well.

He had then went to find Aelins apartment in the slums, since he had a hunch who might be behind the destruction of the Underworld, but found that it's inhabitants were long gone.

But he did find something. Apparently Madam Clarisse was very loose lipped when faced with a heavy bag of gold coins. He had learned that Lysandra had been spotted with two male companions boarding a ship bound for the Southern Continent, so it would seem that that would probably where Aelin had gone of to as well.

Now he only needed to come up with a good enough excuse so that a trip down south would not look suspicious in any way, and then find Aelin.

_______________________________________

To say that she was exhausted would be a severe understatement. Frey, the old woman running the store, had apparently been without help for a very, very long time which was evident in the state of the store.

Her first day on the job she had cleaned the whole shop, every little nook and cranny to make look presentable. Then she had fed and groomed all the 23 dogs, then cleaned the entire kennel as well.

On that first day there had been a total of three costumers. Three. So on her second day on the job she had turned her attention to the huge sign outside the store. It was so worn and weathered it was hard the read even at close range. Most people walking probable thought the place was bankrupt or something.

She had gone digging through the old shed behind the store, and with a whoop of victory she found some old paint. Red, black and green. Perfect. She brought the three huge paint buckets through the kennel and into the shop, then went back to get the old, rickety ladder she had also found in the old shed.

After scraping off the old flaky paint, painted the entire thing in spring grass green. While that dried she spent her time minding the shop, while at the same time planning how to paint the name of the store. Eventually she and Frey decided on thick black letters with the red as a lining shadow.

With the remaining red paint she painted the entire front side of the, then used the remaining black paint on the door. Now the store looked as fresh and new as a newborn puppy. What was most rewarding was the look on Old Frey face as she saw the result of Celaenas work, the woman had been so happy her eyes had filled with tears. Celaena deemed her second day on the job to be a success.

Now Celaena lay in her bed, ready for a nap. It would be a few hours until Sams shift was over, which meant that she had their room in the Torre all to herself. With a sigh of pure exhaustion and bliss, she drifted off into the land of dreams. Dreams filled with roaring fire.

_______________________________________

After his shift had ended Sam went into the city to look for an apartment, and with some luck he found two that he believed his beloved would like.

It was when he neared the tower that he noticed that the streets were more hectic than usual. When he looked up he understood why.

Massive sapphire blue flames were pouring out of one of windows halfway up the tower, and his heart dropped into his stomach like a stone when he realized which room it was.

He sprinted for the tower as he prayed that she wouldn't be hurt.