Chapter 51

«An armada with black sails has been spotted along the western coast. He has begun to move his armies as well.» Manon announced as she and her thirteen walked towards Dorian and Rhiannon  in the garden. «The last Crochans to arrive brought the news this morning.»

Dorian's brow furrowed. «Do you think they'll attack Eyllwe first, or will he meet us on the battlefield?» he asked, while looking at Manon's calculating face.

«I'm not sure, but if he does attack Eyllwe, it will give us the opening we need to steal the other two keys. The timing would actually be perfect for that, but we'll have to send reinforcements to Banjali. They only have human fighters down there.» Manon turned to her sister. «Gather your witches, and go to Banjali.» Rhiannon gave a curt nod.

«I'll get on it right away. Any sign of the Ironteeth yet?» Rhiannon said.

Manon looked up at Abraxos, who was flying high above them. «No, but since Abraxos and the other wyverns escaped, there is a chance that Erawan has already begun to give wyverns to the other witches.» she turned her warrior gaze at her sister. «Be ready for that.»

_______________________________________

Nox balanced the tray of food while also trying to open the door. He was starting to regret saying yes to this, not to helping his Queen, but to play the part as a servant. There, he managed to get the door open and went inside. He didn't know much about the resident of these quarters, only that it was a woman, named Zahir, who had arrived a fortnight ago. The woman was never present when he came with the food, and neither was she this time. Nox carefully placed the tray of food on the dining table. 

He straightened abruptly when he heard muffled voices coming from the office a few paces from where he stood. He inched closer, straining to hear what was being said. 

«Let's get this war on a roll, waiting around is just too boring for me.» a female voice said. A somewhat familiar voice too, but he couldn't quite place it.

«Patience, my ships will reach Eyllwe in less then four weeks. You could join that fight since you're so eager, darling.» a deep male voice said, Erawan. Nox had listened in on plenty of his conversations to recognize his voice, but who was the woman.

«You know what, I think I'll do exactly that. Burning down that city and all it's people was so much fun the first time.» the woman said, Nox frowned. That didn't make any sense, the city had never been burned to the ground before. The sound of moving chairs could be heard, and he tiptoed back to the tray, and lifted it. Just when the door opened he lowered the tray back to table, then turned to whoever had come out of the office. He flinched for a second before remembering to bow, keeping his eyes from meeting theirs, then promptly made his way out of that room.

He kept his pace steady as he made his way through the servant passages. To hell with the remaining weeks of his assignment, he had to get out of here, and report this to the alliance immediately. He hurried his pace and headed straight for his little room, packed his bags, stuffed in the maps of the keep he had made, and snuck out of the keep. 

he made his way into the city, and purchased a horse. He kept the horses gait slow, so as not to attract any attention, even though ever fiber of his being told him to gallop out of there as fast as possible. Originally he was supposed to report back to Rifthold, but if she was going to Eyllwe... Nox turned south outside the city, sending the horse into a mad run. He had to warn them. 

The wind ripped through his hair. Why was she there? Had Erawan somehow turned her, or had she been working with him all along, and was pretending to fight against the demons? Or maybe she had been possessed somehow... but in that short glimpse he had had of her before he walked out, he had seen no stone torque around her neck. No matter, the alliance had to know. Before it was too late.