The Second Guardian Spirit

Link sidestepped, his sword flashing as he countered a Lizalfo's strike. The lizard-like monster fell to the ground as he raised his shield to block a blow from a Bokoblin. Before either he or the monster could react, the Lightscale Trident appeared from under his arm and planted itself in the Bokoblin's chest.

"Thanks," he grunted.

"You are welcome," Mipha replied as more monsters rushed them.

Link sighed as he readied his weapon. This had been the largest group of monsters they had encountered in a while and he was far from willing to deal with it. While he could appreciate the brief rest they had in the Rito Village, it was time to move on, and every second they wasted was one more that a friend spent locked away with a demon.

Together, he and Mipha cut their way through the rush of monsters, with Mipha's trident cutting through the monsters his sword and shield couldn't defend against.

He heard the crack of thunder, the twang of a bow, the growl of a wolf, and the roar of Daruk as the group of monsters was decimated by the Champions. In no time at all, they were left cleaning their weapons, or in Midna's case, licking her chops, as the horde lay in heaps around them.

"If this is what we can do now, what could we do when we had our full strength?" Daruk asked as he rolled his shoulders.

"You can come out now," Revali called, prompting their newest member to come out of hiding.

"I think I understand why Kass was hesitant to let me come," Medli said as she hopped down from the tree she had been hiding in. "You guys weren't joking when you said everything would go wrong five minutes after we left. I mean, I know it's been longer than five minutes, but still –"

Link and Mipha exchanged a grin as Medli continued prattling on about nothing in particular. It was rather entertaining to watch her find endless words for events they found rather mundane.

" – I guess why that's why you were all named Champions."

Link began scrounging through the weapons the monsters had dropped as Medli started a whole new spiel. He found nothing noteworthy until he stumbled across a spear whose blade glowed with a soft blue light. He held it up, analyzing the spear.

"What is that?" Mipha asked.

"That's a Frost Spear!" Medli replied excitedly as she rushed over. "May I see it?"

Link handed it over to the excitable Rito girl, watching with interest as she took it carefully, despite her enthusiasm, and began to eye it up and down. "Oh," she shuddered after a moment, "they were right when they said these things cool you down."

Link frowned as he thought back to the few seconds he had held the weapon. He hadn't noticed a chill, but he had been far too occupied to really notice.

"You said we were heading to the Gerudo Desert, right?" Medli asked.

"Yep," Daruk replied.

"Then you should hang on to this," the Rito girl decided as she handed Mipha the spear. "The Desert is hot, and this should help keep you cool I hope" Link and Mipha exchanged a glance as Medli sounded less and less sure of herself. "Well, I don't actually know if it will keep you cool enough in the Desert but –"

"It's too cold for Mipha to use right now, so I'll keep it for her," Link said as he took the spear from her politely. He was relieved when she nodded, not looking hurt in the slightest. Mipha had informed him that she was under the impression that he didn't like her, an opinion he didn't want to perpetuate, especially since things between he and Revali were finally starting to smooth over.