The Champions of a Fallen Age

Real quick, I want to say thank you (yeah I know it's a fanfic but If you couldn't tell by the chapter title, I'm feeling sentimental). Thank you to those of you who have stuck with me since the beginning. Thank you to the Discord fam, old and new. Most especially, thank you Pixail, JuiceBox, Kev Icarus (check him out), EchoGekkos (check em out), Constipated Genius(check em out. The MHA and RWBY fics are real), and ebonysumgestator (that name will never not be funny to me) as well as Apop and Audiophile. Y'all did a heck of a lot of editing and encouraging and it means a lot.

Aight, I'll shut up now.

******

The Champions raced toward the Sanctum, even as they heard the enraged roars of the Lynel drifting up the way from the gatehouse.

After he had caught up with them, Link had tossed Revali a stamina potion, which the Rito Champion had awkwardly tried to drain while maintaining flight. It was certainly not his most graceful moment, but Link barely noticed and didn't care in the slightest. Even if the others had seen his wobbling, Link had a feeling that not even Urbosa would have said anything. He had a feeling that none of them looked their best as they rounded the final bend and charged into the circular audience chamber. They came to a stop as they passed the threshold and were met with a sight they had not been expecting.

Large tapestries displaying the crest of the Hylian Royal Family hung on the walls, interspersed by long, rectangular windows that illuminated what was left of the room. From the entrance leading to the center, a deep blue carpet decorated with yellow triangles lay over the brick floor. Near the back of the room, two large, curved sets of stairs covered in a plush, royal red carpet led up to an empty throne. Below the throne stood a statue of the Goddess, which, had they been paying attention, shimmered ever so slightly. Pockets of pulsing malice covered the floors and walls while thick clouds of it hung suspended throughout the open air.

In the center of the room, in the source of all of the malice that extended across the room, stood Princess Zelda.

The Princess of Hyrule stood with folded hands and closed eyes. Around her, a golden light shone dimly; however, it did nothing to lessen the horrifying sight of the pulsating red and purple veins that marred every inch of her arms and face.

"...Link..."

The Hylian Champion suddenly felt his chest seize as his lungs rejected the air within the Sanctum. He was nearly brought to his knees as his vision began to darken. The sound of his companions coughing as violently as he rang in his ears. He found himself growing angry as he realized they were so close and yet now they were fighting off suffocation.

"... Link..."

Where was Ganon? Was the Calamity's plan to hide out of sight until they died.

"... Link... I'm sorry. My power isn't strong enough... I can't hold him." Around his arm and tunic, which he used in a vain attempt to filter the air, the Hylian Champion saw the Princess' face harden considerably as the malice around them thrummed. "... All I can do... is this." Golden light gathered around the princess before it extended outward quickly, blinding what was left of the Hylian Champion's vision.

Suddenly, the air around them cleared, allowing Link's lungs to greedily take their fill. Catching his breath, he straightened as he drew his weapons.

At the center of the room, Zelda's hands lowered stiffly, as though someone else had seized control of her body and was unsure of how to use it naturally. She opened her eyes and raised her head, gazing at them. The whites of her eyes had been replaced by midnight black, while her irises glowed with red and yellow rage. Taking a very audible breath, she stretched her back and shoulders, several joints popping.