Chapter Four: The Fairy Godmother

David Valera glared at his only daughter as she held her cheek, he had never in his life hated someone as much as he hated her; he wished that he’d never pleaded with his late wife to have children.

“Why isn’t dinner ready?” David spat furiously as he grabbed Faith by the throat, she choked as her hands flew to her throat and tried to get him to loosen his grip; she knew he had been drinking and wished that she would have been more careful.

“I’m sorry,” Faith whimpered as she tried to get him to realise her, she closed her eyes as he punched her in the stomach making her groan before he allowed her to drop to the floor; the brunette swallowed as he kicked her in the stomach several knowing better than to cry.

“Stupid whore,” David murmured as he spat at her then stumbled back out of the house; Faith stayed still for a moment to make sure that he wasn’t coming back before she pulled herself carefully off the floor.

Faith leant against the counter as she took deep breathes while she carefully checked herself over to make sure that he hadn't broken any of her ribs; she closed her eyes relieved for a moment before she moved to check on Oliver.

The three week old stared up at her with his big blue eyes making Faith smile down at him sadly; he held up his arms as if begging her to pick him up.

“Mama’s sorry,” Faith whispered as she carefully picked him up, she knew that while she hadn't gotten any broken ribs from her beating, she definitely had a couple of bruises ones; she held him close as she made sure that he was okay, she was glad that he was a quiet baby otherwise she was sure her father would have killed him by now.

***

“They’re definitely bruised,” Nadina Tomas said as she checked Faith’s ribs for her, she had been the brunette’s best friend for years and she knew what her friend was going through and had vowed to stay by her side no matter what.

Faith nodded her head as she ran a hand through her hair.

“Gracias,” Faith said as she glanced over at Oliver who was lying in the baby cot that Nadina had got him for when he was with her.

Nadina was the little boy’s godmother and she had been by Faith’s side as much as she could while her friend had been pregnant.

“So are you looking forward to the masquerade ball?” Faith asked as she sipped on her water, it hurt to swallow but the brunette was lucky that he hadn't left any marks on her throat; she knew the other maids would have a field day if she did.

Nadina nodded her head as she glanced at her friend knowing that Faith deserved a night of fun as well.

“I’ve already brought my dress for the lower class ball, it’s red while yours is a deep blue colour,” Nadina said making Faith pause and look at her friend as if she had gone insane.

Faith already knew that she wasn’t allowed to attend either of the balls; she was an untouchable and had been told to stay away so that no one would be able to see her.

“What do you mean yours is a deep blue colour?” Faith asked making her friend flash an innocent smile, Nadina knew that she was going to have to convince her to come with her to the ball.

“I want you to come to the lower class masquerade ball with me,” Nadina said as if it was the easiest thing in the world, she knew that no one would ever expect the brunette if she was dressed like a princess instead of her old rags that she wore.

“You want me to do what?” Faith spluttered as she stared at her best friend, she knew that her friend needed her head checked over after her suggestion; there was no way in this life time that the brunette would be able to go to the masquerade ball.

Nadina down at Oliver who was sleeping; she smiled sadly knowing that both Oliver and Faith deserved better than this, she sighed as she then turned her attention to her best friend.

“You are the granddaughter of two of the council members, it wouldn’t be right if you didn't go to at least one of the balls,” Nadina said making Faith stare at her dumbfounded; she knew that if she was found out then she’d be in a lot of trouble.

The two friends were silent before Nadina sat down next to Faith.

“You deserve to have some sort of fun Faith… call me your fairy godmother,” Nadina said as she tried to talk her friend into going through with her plan.

Faith sighed as she shook her head, she wasn’t going to risk getting thrown out of the clan over something like this; she was better off as an untouchable than out on her own.

“I won’t risk it Dina besides you’ll have a great time at the ball and will be able to tell me all about it,” Faith said shaking her head, she would rather spend the day with her son.

Nadina rolled her eyes as she pushed herself to her feet and hurried over to the cupboard and pulled out a black dress bag that made Faith pale as she realised what it was.

“At least look at the expensive dress that I got you,” Nadina said pouting as she turned to her next plan in getting the brunette to agree to come with her; she could see Faith caving as she looked at the beautiful dress that her friend was showing her.

Faith didn't have anything nice to wear especially with her money being used to support her family and newborn son.

“Come on Faith, it’s a masquerade ball so your face will be covered,” Nadina begged to her friend, Faith took a deep breath as she closed her eyes, she knew that she shouldn’t even be thinking about this but seeing the dress that her friend had gotten her made the brunette feel horrible about saying no.

***

Iker sighed as he listened to his girlfriend complain about his mother’s idea of throwing a ball for him to find his mate; he knew that she was less than pleased that he would have to speak with every eligible female in their clan.

“I mean you love me right Iker?” Sara asked as she walked towards him, the alpha nodded his head as he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her lips; he doubted that he would find his mate at either ball.

“You know I do,” Iker said making Sara smile up at him, she hugged him briefly before she walked away and continued to prepare for the gentry ball making Iker sigh; he knew that she wanted to make sure that he didn't find his mate while at either ball even if she could only attend one of them.

“What do you think of my dress Iker?” Sara asked making him look at the ruby red dress that she had chosen, he forced a smile to his face and while it wasn’t his favourite colour; he had to admit it did suit Sara perfectly.

“It beautiful,” Iker said as he pushed himself to his feet so that he could get ready himself, he glanced at her knowing that if he did find his mate over the next two days then there relationship would end.

“I’ll see you downstairs,” Iker said as he watched her for a moment, he watched as she nodded her head absentmindedly before he sighed and headed to the room where he was expected to change; he couldn't wait for the next two days to be over so that he could move on with his life.