Coming Home

"...And please welcome this year's valedictorian to the stage." The principal walks away from the podium. I walk up, taking a deep breath.

"I would like to start by thanking my biggest heros..." I pull a framed photo out of my pocket, moving my hair. I hold it up. "This is my dad. He has been serving in Kuwait for two years. He couldn't come to my graduation so I wanted to thank him, for everything he has done for me. He is my first hero." I smile and set the picture down. When I look up, everyone in the crowd is looking at someone. The person is standing in the isle. I realize who is is.

"Daddy?" I ask, not believing my eyes. I literally jump off the stage and run to him. I break down in his arms. "I missed you so much.

"This is Miss (Y/N)'s dad, Sergeant Wilson, has served over ten years in Iraq and Kuwait over her lifetime. We were able to bring him back home so he could see what a strong woman she has become. A round of applause please?" A voice asks. I release my grip on him and he lets go. He wipes away my tears.

"Missed you, pumpkin." He states. U start laughing. I hug him again.

"I missed you." I say. I let go and walk back onto the stage. "Thank you. Now the second hero is my older brother. He is deported at the moment. He helped me up when I was down. He was there for me when no one else was. He followed in my father's footsteps. He is a petty officer in the Navy." I feel arms around my abdomen. I turn around.

"What is a skeleton's favorite instrument?" He asks. "A xylabone!" I laugh, hugging him. I grab the microphone.

"Are you guys trying to make me cry? Geez, Matt." The crowd bursts into laughter and applause. I let go a resume my speech. "As I was saying... Don't let anything or anyone keep you down. Your decisions are your own to make so live your lives to the fullest. Live in moments not time, because you never know when it will be gone. I have a story to tell you."

"There is this girl. Everyday she walks down the same three blocks everyday. There was a little dying plant and a leak in the ceiling. She pushed the plant under the leak. She continued walking. An old woman was having issues pushing a cart over the curb. The girl helped her. What does she get out of this, nothing. She walks further and sits at the outdoor seating at a restaurant. The pregnant waitress gives her her food. A dog comes up and places its paw in her lap. She pulls her ribs of her plate and gives them to the pup. The pup runs off with the food." I begin. "The girl leaves the waitress a large tip. She continues walking down the street. A woman and her child sit, holding a cup. A sign in front of them stated the money went to education. She pulls out her wallet and gives them all her cash. She walks this street after work everyday, following her actions as before. What does she get in return for this? She doesn't get any richer. She doesn't get any fame. Most people would say she gets nothing. Thought she says otherwise. She believes that she gets more than she could ask for."

"What?" A freshman in the back shouts excitedly. I laugh.

"She gets feelings. A deeper understanding. On the last day she walked that street, that street was a better place. The dying plant was flourishing. The old woman with the cart had a young man helping her. She sits down at the restraunt. The pregnant waitress wasn't there. When the girl asked the waiter were she was the waiter told her she had had her baby. She smiled. The dog came running up to her. The dog had a collar and a leash attached to it. A person came running up to her, beside the dog. The person apologized. The girl asked where she got the dog. The person replied with 'on the street with her puppies'. The girl's smile grew as the person walked off with the dog. She left the same tip and walked down the street. The woman was sitting alone this time. The girl's smile faded. She was about to speak as she heard a yell. The girl looked up and saw the kid dressed nicely in a school uniform. She left the rest of her money and walked off, the biggest grin on her face." The crowd was speechless, some were moved to tears. I smiled and walked off stage.