Chapter 58

Th13rteen

Chapter 58

*

*

Aurelia...

I huffed in frustration as my bare feet sunk into the snow...again.

I should have made it way farther than I have, but with the difficulty I was having, I barely made it a quarter of the way down the mountain. I was starting to lose track of how much time has passed, since it felt like I had been walking for years. The only way I know how long it actually has been is because of the two sunsets I watched from up here.

I will admit, the view was breathtaking up here during the sunset and sunrise. I might have been able to appreciate it more if I wasn't fighting for my life.

I'm proud of myself though, for making it into day three. However, at the pace I'm going, I know it's going to take me at least a week to just get to the base of the mountain.

I've thought of trying to sled down, but had no luck finding something to slide on. I even tried rolling down, but made it ten feet before nearly throwing up.

I haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon either, and after the trauma I endured, I will starve to death before I eat another living thing. Not that I've seen one anyways.

It was much easier to ignore the hunger now that I was too exhausted to think about it. Every step felt like I was going to snap in half. I could only pray that this magic frost doesn't give out on me, too.

I let my mind drift to Alex for the millionth time. I wonder where he is? If he's okay.

I have no doubt that he is looking for me. If I know him at all, he hasn't slept, and he's barely keeping himself together. I know he will stop at nothing to find me, even if it's my corpse that he finds.

Oh God, I hope not.

Shaking the thought out of my mind, I picked up my pace a little bit. I just want to get the hell off this mountain. It doesn't help that this dark cloud has been looming over me for the past few hours. The last thing I need is for it to storm.

I tucked my vine cape under my arm, and tightened my grip on my leafy shoes. I'm going to need them eventually, and I fear that might be sooner than I wish.

"Why does snow have to be so damn soft." I grumbled as I sunk in yet again. I guess I shouldn't complain too much. After all, it made a great bed last night.

I felt something soft hit my bare arm. My breath hitched and I clenched my eyes shut. "Oh, please no." I muttered.

Slowly releasing my breath, I looked up to the sky to see white little specs falling towards me. "Damn it." I cursed.

This just got ten times harder.

Just as I thought that, the snow picked up drastically. It beat down towards the ground, mercilessly coating what already lay there. The wind kicked in, too, throwing the thick snow around with no cares. It was almost blinding.

I had to squint to even see two feet in front of me.

Great, this is just fantastic.

The sky was so dark, if I didn't know it was mid-day, I would think it was nearing eight in the evening.

"It just had to be snow. I would rather walk through fire than this." I grumbled.

But, despite my complaints, I had no choice but to continue on. I walked for hours, and the snow did not once let up. The wind almost knocked me over on multiple occasions, and even did push me onto my butt quite a few times. I almost lost my cape on one of the falls, but I was quick to grab it. It almost felt like the wind was actively trying to keep me off course. At one point, I started walking across the mountain instead of down it. I fixed my direction before being confused, and walking the wrong way again.