Prologue

~*****~

"Mom? Do you really think angels watch over us?" Carlotta Bellway asks her mother on a cool fall evening.

"Of course. How do you think I got blessed with such a sweet daughter?" Evelyn Bellway responded. Soft ebony locks fell down her shoulders as she stooped down to lift her child in the air. "Six years of the sweetest, prettiest, and smartest daughter I could have ever imagined."

"Okay, but when are you giving me a little sister?" Carlotta asked in curiosity. Her father across the room, coughed in shock as he glanced over. "Or a puppy would be fine."

"How about this, angel: You go get ready for bed, and Daddy and I will talk about it, alright?" Carlotta's face broke into a huge grin as she bolted for the stairs.

"I wanna big puppy! One like the neighbors dog! Big Maxie!"

Evelyn pressed her hand against her cheek in a endearing manner as she watched her daughter fly up those stairs. "Charles, don't you think it's time to tell her the truth?" Evelyn asked her husband.

"I mean, I'd like to. But I don't think she'd like the idea of her dad being so cool." Charles answered, a silly grin over his face. Unknowing to either of them, Carlotta peeked around the corner on the top of the stairs, eavesdropping. "We'll be targeted, you know. If word got out. I've managed to keep it under control so far. But she's powerful, my love. I mean, seriously, end of all world as we know it, powerful." He explained as he grasped her hands.

"I don't know why you decided I should bear her. She's my greatest gift from you." Evelyn gazed downwards at her lap. "Sometimes, I wish we weren't who we were. So we could live a normal life."

"I know, my love. But the second coming of Christ was foretold for centuries. Come now, Lailah." Charles spoke softly.

Evelyn looked over her shoulder nervously. "You mustn't use my true name here. It's not wise. Anyone could be listening in."

"I'd never let any harm come to you." Charles smiled softly. "I need to get out of here. It's hard to keep my presence hidden from them."

"Of course." Evelyn grabs the coat on the back of the couch and hands it to her husband with a soft smile. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

The house fell silent as Charles disappeared, leaving Evelyn to stand with her hands folded in front of her. "Mommy?" Evelyn jumps in shock, and whirls around to her daughter. "What's a Lailah?"

Carlotta woke with a gasp in the stark white hospital bed. The skies outside thundered softly as the rain pattered against the window. Gazing over, Sam lay asleep in the chair besides her, wounds covered his body. "Lailah...." She muttered softly as she pressed her hand against her heart. "What does that mean, mom?"