Crossroad Blues -- Dread

~*****~

I made a small circle for Evan to stand in with the Goofer Dust and shoved the bag at Sam to find other places to lay it out. We were running low. I had laid out some lines in front of the doors and on the windows just in case as well. "What is this stuff?" Evan asked.

"Goofer Dust." I answered softly.

"You serious?"

"'Fraid so, sweet heart." I stated softly. He gave me a skeptical look. "Look, believe us, don't believe us, whatever you want. Just whatever you do, stay inside the circle, all right?"

"That's the last of it." Sam sighed as he finished fortifying some of the windows and doors. Evan whirled around in pure terror.

"What is it?" I asked softly, but then I heard it. A subtle puffing noise, something you'd hear from a really big animal.

"Where?" Sam asked after a moment.

Evan pointed a shaky finger towards the door. "Right outside the door."

I took a step forward, and the door started to rattle violently. Sam and I got into the circle with Evan.

"Just don't move, all right? Stay where you are." Sam urged. The puffing stopped, and for a moment, I thought it wandered off. "Do you still hear it?" Sam asked.

"No..." Evan breathed out. "Is it over?"

More puffing echoed out, and this time it was in a small grate in the wall. Subtle growls echoed from it, until the grate popped off.

"It's here!" Evan exclaimed.

Evan began backing up in horror. "No! Stay in the circle!" Sam ordered. We wrapped around arms around him as the black mass started leaving claw marks into the floor around the circle. "Come on, Dean." Sam begged under his breath. Its breath billowed out, and it smelt like decaying flesh. I gagged and held my sleeve up to cover my nose- that's when I noticed the circle starting to break.

"Sam! The circle- It's breaking!" I exclaimed.

"Come on!" Sam urged as he grabbed Evan and dragged him down the hall. It was hot on our tails.

"In there!" I urged as I shoved them into another room, and slammed the door shut. I shoved my body against the doors as the hellhound tackled it. Sam shoved against it as well, and it felt like hours we were holding the beast off. When it stopped, we kept against the door, just in case. We were all breathing heavily as we gazed at one another in confusion.

"He did it. Dean did it." Sam breathed out in relief. 

~*****~

Dean came back to pick us up, and he refused to look at me. Which was to be expected. He took the time to explain to Sam what happened with the crossroads demon- including everything it told him about John's deal. Sam was having a hard time accepting it. And even if Dean looked like he had already accepted it- you could tell it was eating away at him, bit by bit.

"Demons lie all the time, right? Maybe she was lying." Sam suggested.

"Come on. Is that really what you think?" Dean scoffed. Sam looked down at his lap, and shook his head. "How could he do it?"

"He did it for you, Dean..." I muttered softly.

"Exactly." Dean snapped. I bit my lip angrily and turned my head to gaze out the window. "How am I supposed to live with that? You know, the thought of him... wherever he is right now. I mean, he spent his whole life chasing that... yellow-eyed son of a bitch. He should have gone out fighting. That was supposed to be his legacy. You know? Not bargaining with the damn thing. Not this."

"How many people do you think Dad saved? Total?" Sam tried.

"That's not the point, Sam."

"Evan Hudson is safe because of what Dad taught us. That's his legacy, Dean. But we're still here, man. So we gotta keep going- for him." Sam reminded him. They remained silent for a moment. "Dean?"

"Yeah?"

Sam gave him a nervous smirk. "When you were trapping that demon, you weren't.... I mean, it was all a trick, right? You never considered actually making that deal, right?"

Dean didn't answer him, and that just made the pit in my stomach expand. It was frightening- that Dean may have tried to bargain with it to bring back John. What if something happened to Sam? Would Dean try to- I stopped my mind from thinking anymore. Tears were about to burst, and I couldn't handle the fact that Dean would probably do something so reckless. And I'd be the one to see it all- I'd be the one to suffer through it all. As selfish as it sounds- If it came down to it, I'd do anything to stop him from doing it.... Even if it meant making a deal myself....