In My Time Of Dying -- To Love Another

~*****~

Fear; If I could describe the one feeling in my body right now. That would be it. When John left the room, it was like his spirit was getting ready to join the afterlife. And I couldn't explain that horrible feeling in the back of my throat. A few moments later, Sam stepped into the room with John's journal. "Um, Dad wasn't in his room." Sam said softly, and moved to sit besides me.

I swallowed the tight feeling in my throat before speaking. "You- You just missed him." I admitted.

"Really?" Sam asked and looked towards the door. "What did he say?"

"He, uh, he apologized, for earlier." I commented. "We're good." Sam nodded and started fingering with journal. "Whatcha got there?"

"He left it behind, so who knows? Maybe there's something here." Sam answered, and started flipping through the pages.

I remained silent for a moment. "It's worth a try, right?" I commented in a shaky tone. I had scoured every inch of that journal already, and there was nothing about any of this kind of situation in it. Hopelessness. Another feeling.

~******~

Sam and Lottie had given me enough information to figure out what was going on. And it pissed me off. After some searching, I found Tessa in an empty hospital room, sitting in the edge of the bed. She no longer wore the usual hospital clothes, but instead, she wore a long, black dress. She was a reaper.

"Hi Dean." Tessa muttered, almost expectantly. Like she knew I was coming.

"You know, you read the most interesting things. For example, did you know reapers can alter human perception? I sure didn't." I stated bitterly, taking deliberate steps into the room, and towards her. "Basically, they can make themselves appear however they want. Like, say, uh, a pretty girl. You are much prettier than the last reaper I met."

"I was wondering when you would figure it out." Tessa sighed.

"I should have known. The whole 'accepting fate' rap of yours. It's far too laid back for a dead chick. But the mother, and the body, I'm still trying to figure that one out." I said while shaking my head.

"It's my sandbox, I can make you see whatever you want." She explained, and shrugged her shoulders.

"What, is this like a turn-on for you? What? Toying with me?" I growled.

"You didn't give me much choice. You saw my true form, and you flipped out. Kinda hurts a girl's feelings. This was the only way I could get you to talk to me." Tessa expressed.

"Okay, fine. We're talking. What the hell do you want to talk about?" I grumbled.

"How death is nothing to fear," She said softly while reaching towards me. She cupped my cheek before I could flinch away. "It's your time to go, Dean. And you're living on borrowed time already."

I pulled away from her and moved over to the window, and stared out into the night. "Look, I'm sure you've heard this before, but... you've gotta make an exception, cut me a break." I pleaded.

"Stage Three: Bargaining." Tessa commented.

"I'm serious. My family's in danger! See, we're kind of in the middle of this, um, war, and they need me." I begged and stood before her again.