Hunted -- Spill

~*****~

"Before Dad died he-- he told me something." Dean continued. "Something about you."

Sam remained silent as I cast a glance to the younger brother. His posture was tense, and nervous. "What?" Sam asked.

"Dean, what did he tell you?" I pushed.

Dean remained silent, his gaze shifting from Sam to everything else. "He said that he.... wanted me to watch out for you.... Take care of you."

"He told you that a million times, Dean." Sam pushed.

"This time it was different." I swallowed thickly at that tortured expression Dean held. "He said that I had to.... save you."

"Save me from what?" Sam asked.

"He just said that I had to save you." Dean repeated. "And nothing else matter and that if I couldn't, I'd...." We waited patiently for him to continue.

"You'd what, Dean?" Sam asked urgently.

Dean remained silent for another moment. "I'd have to kill you." He revealed. Sam's face twisted in confusion.  "He said that I might have to kill you, Sammy." My stomach dropped as I covered my lips with my fingers.

"Kill me?" Sam echoed as if Dean were crazy. Hell, I was staring at him like he were crazy. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know," Dean admitted softly as his gaze cast to the ground.

"I mean, he must've had some kind of reason for saying it, right?" Sam asked hurriedly. I sighed heavily and drank the rest of my beer before palming my forehead. "Did he know the demon's plans for me? Am I supposed to go dark side or something?!" Sam shouted. "What else did he say, Dean?!"

"Nothin, that's it, I swear." Dean answered calmly.

"How could you not have told me this, Dean?!" Sam shouted again, his anger radiating off of his posture.

"Because it was Dad, and he begged me not to-"

"Who cares?!" Sam screamed. "Take some responsibility for yourself, Dean! You had no right to keep this from me!"

"You think I wanted this? Huh?" Dean retorted angrily. "Huh? I wish to god he never opened his mouth! Then I wouldn't have to walk around with this screaming in my head all day!" I scooted to the side, feeling powerless to stop this fight.

"Guys... Lets just take a breather, all right? We've all had a long day." I started meekly as Sam turned on his heel to face away from his brother. "We just have to figure out what all this means, and what the hell is going on." I suggested softly.

"We do?" Dean answered plainly. "I've been thinking about this. I think we should just lay low. You know. At least for a while-- It would be safer." Sam swung his gaze back to his brother in shock. "That way, I could make sure..." Dean trailed off.

"What?" Sam asked. A grin slipped onto his features, but it wasn't out of amusement- no, this grin suggested such anger and disappointment. "That I don't turn evil?" He jeered angrily. "That I don't turn into some kind of killer?"

"Sam, come on-"

"Jeez, if you're not careful, you will have to waste me one day, Dean." Sam growled.

"I never said that!" Dean bellowed. "Damn it, Sam, this whole thing is spinning out of control. All right, you're immune to some weirdo demon virus, and I don't even know what the hell anymore!" I gazed down at my intertwined fingers. I didn't know what I could do but just watch. "And you're pissed at me, and I get it. That's fine, I deserve it! But we lay low until we figure out our next move, okay?"