Croatoan -- Sick

~*****~

I stepped into the exam room where Mr. Tanner lay after making sure the doors were secure. Doctor Lee was hunched over her desk, looking through a microscope. She let out a soft sigh as I pulled up a seat. "Somethin' wrong?"

"His lymphocyte percentage is pretty high. His body was fighting off a viral infection." She explained as she glanced at Mr. Tanner's corpse curiously.

"What kind of virus?" Sam asked.

"Can't say for sure.."

"Do you think an infection would make him act like that?"

"None that I've ever heard of. I mean, some can cause dementia, but not that kind of violence. And besides, I've never heard of one that did this to the blood." She murmured.

"Did.... Did what?" I asked.

"There's this... weird residue." She replied. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was sulfur."

I cast an alarmed glance at Sam before gesturing to Doctor Lee for a peek. She nodded and moved to the side. I peered inwards, and she was right. I glanced back up at Sam and sighed heavily. "Sulfur." I repeated.

~*****~

Beverly was less than accepting to the theory. Her face was contorted - whether it be confusion or flat out defiance, I did not know. "I don't understand. Are you saying my husband and Jake had a disease?" She questioned.

"That's what were trying to figure out. Now, during the attack, do you remember... Did you have any direct contact with their blood?" Doctor Lee asked as she stepped towards the frightened woman.

"Oh my god. You don't think I've got this virus, do you?!" Beverly cried out. My stomach felt tight as I stared at her. Something was off with her. I know- she was hysterical about her son and husband attacking her, but this was different.

"Beverly, I don't know what to think. But with your permission, we'll take a blood sample." Doctor Lee said gently. Beverly nodded slowly, and gently laid her hand on the doctors. That tightening in my stomach turned rock solid as I rush forward as Beverly struck out against Doctor Lee's face. I wrapped my arms around her frame. She was strong, and threw me across the room, and into a glass cabinet. She grabs a scalple, and tries to stab me, but Sam is quick to whack her over the head with a fire extinguisher. She falls to the ground, out cold.

"Lottie, are you alright?" Sam asked as he knelt down to me.

"I think - ah! Fuck! God, right in the shoulder!" I gasp in pain. It wasn't bad, but a small shard was lodged into the skin.

"What the hell just happened?" Doctor Lee breathed out as I pulled the shard out and tossed it to the ground. Her eyes were trained on Mrs. Tanner.

"Draw her blood- I think that's what that attack was about." I stated softly. Doctor Lee nodded quickly and did as I said.

She was bent over her desk looking at the woman's blood through a microscope as I discretely healed my wound. Pam was freaking out. "What if we all have it?! What if we all go crazy?!" She asked hysterically.

"Honey, you've got to stay calm." I urged. "All we can do is wait, alright? My partner is bringing help." I assured her.

"I can't- I-I've got to go!" Pam rushed out and tried to go for the door.

"Pam!" Doctor Lee called out urgently. We followed her out.

"No! You don't understand! My boyfriends out there, I gotta make sure he's okay!" Pam replied wildly.