Chapter Five

Truth be told, after being hurled thru three countries for one of the most ambitious fashion shoots he has ever been a part of to date, Dylan planned a two-week vacation in Italy to be with Bai.

He hasn't seen her in a month because of their busy schedules and he was looking forward to surprising her.

He even coordinated her schedule with her manager.

"I'm sorry", he told her over the phone now, though.

He had to cancel one of her calls yesterday and when he tried calling her back, she didn't answer.

He sent message after message of apology.

"No. No. I'm sorry too", she answered, "I fell asleep right after you canceled my call and thought I will just call you back. I was so surprised with all your apology messages."

"I thought you might have been angry."

"I'm not. Anyway, are you ok?"

"I am", he assured her, "but a good friend of mine isn't."

"Do I know this friend of yours?"

"You do but... I really can't talk about it now. Even to you. I hope you understand."

Yue's story isn't his to tell.

"That's ok. Be with your friend. He must really need you."

Dylan grimaced but did not refute her use of "He".

Yue hasn't told him anything yet, and he hasn't pushed her to open up about it, but he isn't blind nor insensitive to not notice how her eyes would turn hollow during the moments that she thinks he isn't looking.

She'd be smiling and laughing it up with him over a joke one moment, and then she'd look down in the dumps the next.

Dylan knows the symptoms of sadness all too well.

He just doesn't point it out to her and has decided to patiently wait for her to tell him or to understand that he might never know her reason but he should be there for her.

"It seems so..."

"Well... take care of yourself, ok?"

"I will. You too."

He waited for a beat before ending the call.

It felt strange somehow but then again, after deciding to break up, there have been a lot of moments when awkward silence would overtake their conversations.

She created such weird rules around their break-up that he agreed to.

Rule No. 1 – No I love you.

Rule No. 2 – No I miss you.

Rule No. 3 – No trying to flirt.

Bai said she wanted to truly focus on her career and not be distracted.

He does his best to be very understanding for she supported him in the very same way too.

But being in limbo like this is difficult.

He decided to not think about it for the moment and focus on something that needed more of his attention.

Dylan checked on his watch.

Yue should be up by now.

His phone rang at that exact moment and he smiled at seeing her name.

"WHY DID YOU SEND OVER A MAID TO PACK FOR ME?!?!", she demanded.