Epilogue .01

This is the VERY first time he is spending Chinese New Year with her family and SHE is more nervous than him.

"Stop fidgeting...", her mother whispered to her as she re-arranged her hair in the bathroom mirror while her Mom powdered her face, "Everyone loves DiDi. He already is such a hit with your Uncles and have you seen your Aunts? They cannot get enough of him!"

Well, that INDEED is true.

Her boyfriend can charm the pants off anyone and today, he assured her that his charm will be fully turned on.

"I'm also going to make it clear to them that we're a couple, ok? Sometimes Aunts get too taken with me they want to adopt me. And we definitely CANNOT be cousins", he told her this morning.

She ribbed him for that jibe before laughing.

Really.

It isn't that she worries for how her whole family will react to him... there is just one person whose approval really matters to her.

Her great grandmother's.

The woman had not really taken a liking to Nian Zhen when her ex-boyfriend first visited her family and well... everyone knows how THAT turned out.

"I hope grandma likes him", she finally voiced out.

"Grandma will like him", her mother assured, finally understanding the tension behind her voice.

The older woman also had the same worries the first time she introduced Yue's father to the family.

Their grandmother had the uncanny ability to know who amongst the men introduced to her are going to suit, not only the family, but the one who introduced him.

"I don't care about just your happiness now, I also care about your happiness tomorrow. If he can only make you happy now, anyone can do that. The one who will make you happy for all of your tomorrows, that is who you should be looking for", is their family matriarch's tagline.

They came out of the powder room and Yue immediately looked for her boyfriend.

"She is with grandmother", Yang told her.

"Grandmother is already awake?"

Her younger brother nodded.

"Aiya! I hate young men like you!", they heard the old woman announce and her eyes widened in fear as her heart almost jumped out of her chest.

The whole room descended into silence and she rushed towards the other room.

"Dylan... no no no –"

She saw her grandmother looking petulant while her boyfriend looked appropriately apologetic.

"Yue!", the woman called out to her, "You tell this young man I don't want to see him."

Her hands turned as cold as ice.

What happened?

What did Dylan do?

Her boyfriend winked at her and reached out to hold the older woman's hand.

"Grandma must not be angry. You'll age –"

"Young man I am aged!"

Dylan smiled, "Not to me."

"Stop buttering up this old woman you!"

Yue felt her head explode in surprise when her boyfriend reached out and hugged the older woman like they've known one another before.

"Come now Grandma..."