Chapter Twenty-Nine

Loving another person is a lesson in perseverance, patience, and fate.

Dylan Wang has plenty of perseverance.

He may have grown up preciously looked after but he has always had to work hard for the things he wanted.

Want a new toy? Wash the dishes at home and in the restaurant.

Want a new phone? Clean your room and help Grandpa and Papa with buying the supplies for two weeks.

Everyone in his family pretty much drilled into him that he can have anything he wants WHEN he works hard for it.

He has carried that with him ever since and is the reason why he has never shied away from having to do any task handed to him, no matter how daunting. A reward will always be at the end of every struggle.

But love completely turned around that belief on him.

You can persevere and persevere and persevere but in the end... the reward you want might never be yours.

And you HAVE to be ok with that.

Because loving another person means doing everything for them without ever wishing to possess them. They aren't rewards.

You HAVE to accept that.

Also, it might not look it but Dylan HAS a lot of patience.

Going into a military-type school taught him that.

Stand in the sun.

Wait for instructions.

Don't grumble.

Don't complain. NEVER. COMPLAIN.

He likes to play around but his endurance in waiting anything out is unmatched.

Of course, as long as he knows he is waiting for something.

And as long as he knows that whatever it is he is waiting for is worth it.

His first foray into entertainment further convinced him of this when he acted up after being told to wear a mask to hide his face and was told to endure that penalty.

He eventually gets whatever it is he is waiting for.

And always at the right time he should be getting it.

But not in love.

He has to wait without ever knowing if he would see gold.

He has to wait without even being sure that what he is waiting for will be his.

He has to wait.

Because his heart will.

And he has no power against his heart. It is literally and figuratively the strongest muscle in his body.

The only thing that Dylan didn't put much store in is fate.

People blame too many things on fate -  forgetting that THEY are the biggest factor why something happens.

If you didn't do anything, no amount of crying will land what you wish for on your lap.

If you did something (and gave everything to achieve it), then you increase your chances of achieving it.

But here again, love taught him a lesson.

For he'd been running.

He's been trying to escape her.