Chapter 18: New Developments

I woke up not long after my phone call with Hanji, with only a few hours of sleep to go off of. I dressed in my uniform and prepared for work. Hanji texted me saying she would pick me up since we shared the same hours today. Luckily I felt awake and ready to do my job. Then again I was used to getting up early every morning, whether I worked or not. When we headed down stairs, I was not surprised to find Levi already awake. I had found him cleaning the bathroom with white cloth around his face and hair.

"Hanji is here to pick me up for work." I told him. He nodded without turning around. "I'll see you later then." Levi stopped and turned towards me finally.

"See you."

Outside the air was crisp and the sky was gray. I reflected on earlier that morning when I was sitting by the window. I had thought it was going to rain. Curious, I pulled out my phone and checked to see if that was correct. Sure enough, I could see that rain was expected all day today.

I hopped into the passenger's seat of Hanji's truck and waited.

"Just a moment." Hanji hopped out of her truck and, shockingly, barged into Levi's home. I could only sit and watch with anticipation. I had no idea what she was planning this time. Soon, Hanji came out with Levi trailing reluctantly behind. He had changed into a leather jacket and a gray shirt. He wore the same maroon scarf I'd seen him wear the first time I saw him. I could feel my cheeks heat up a little. Levi turned from following Hanji to his own car and she came to her own. She started up the vehicle and headed towards Cafe Maria. In the side mirror, Levi's car was behind us.

"What was that about?"

"Just a little friendly convincing to come to the shop." She smiled.

"I'm surprised he relented." I remarked with a slight smile of my own.

"If I pester him enough he usually gives in. But today he seemed almost willing." I could hear the hinting in her voice and I shook my head. Shortly after hitting the road, Levi took a turn and we lost him. Then Hanji's phone buzzed. Without looking away from the road, she managed to grab her phone and toss it into my lap. "Read it for me will ya?" she asked me.

"Uh sure. It says 'I'm going shopping first. Maybe I'll stop by later.'" I read.

"Ugh okay. I guess it's a little early for him to come in anyways." she shrugged.

"Isn't it a little early to go shopping too?" I pointed out. She whipped her head towards me in shock.

"You're right!"

"Maybe it's a cover up?" I smiled and looked back at the phone. That's when I noticed Levi's contact name. "Short Clean Freak?" I said aloud. Hanji glanced at me and chuckled. I began to reply to Levi's text. She watched me for a brief moment and smiled to herself.

Me: You know she's got you under "Short Clean Freak" right?

...

Levi: Hello ______. No but I'm not surprised.

Me: Are you actually shopping?

Levi: What?

Me: Well it just seemed like it was early to go shopping so Hanji and I thought it was a cover story

Levi took a moment to respond.

Levi: Do you need proof?

Me: Maybe.

After I sent the text, he sent a picture of a cleaning aisle from a store.

Me: How do I know you didn't just pull that from the internet??