Chapter 19: Natural

"Well if you weren't so fucking incompetent, you would have realized that you're touching my girlfriend."

----------------
My eyes widened in total shock and the man's toughness faltered. He let go of me and I stumbled away from him. Levi immediately put his arm around myself and I felt my heart stop.

"S-since when?" he stuttered. Levi stared him dead in the eye without a blink.

"Since when was it your fucking business?" he asked in a deadpan voice. The man took a step back and noticed that people were staring at him. He shifted uncomfortably. I couldn't manage to make a sound in the moment. I was so shocked I couldn't process what was happening. Suddenly Levi grabbed my hand. I snapped back to reality and tensed up. "We will be right back, Erwin." Levi called to my boss who glanced over.

"Levi you can't just take an employee-" Erwin began but he didn't wait. He pulled me out through the door and onto the sidewalk. I finally found my voice to protest,

"He's right. You kinda stole me..." I pointed out. Levi's hand gripped mine slightly harder.

"Would you like to stay with that fucking sick bastard?" he snapped aggressively. I flinched and couldn't find the courage to answer. It didn't seem like he was expecting one either as he took me down the alley and around the back of the store.

"Levi- I think we should go back..." I kept my voice quiet. He didn't turn to look at me. I could tell he was clenching his jaw as hard as he could.

"_____, please. If I lay my eyes on that piece of shit again, I don't think I will be able to control myself." Levi seemed to be muttering almost to himself as he worked on calming down his anger. I didn't pull my hand away and I didn't speak.

After a few minutes, it seemed that Levi had calmed down a little. His hand still held mine firmly but it didn't feel angry. I squeezed his to let him know it was alright. I felt him return it and it sent my heart fluttering. His hand was warm and comforting. I felt safe and nothing could touch me while he held onto me. I found myself unable to tear my gaze away from our hands intertwined.

What's going on?

A few minutes of silence passed between us. I wasn't sure how long this would take or how even to feel in the moment. I noticed a spot to sit a few feet away from us and I gestured my head towards it.

"Why don't we sit down?" Levi's eyes followed my gaze and he started walking over. When we approached the spot, he let go of my hand. My fingers felt freezing as soon as his left mine. I decided to sit down next to him. My arm rested between us and his own was less than an inch from mine. Silence filled the cracks until Levi decided to speak up,

"How long has he been doing shit like that." It wasn't really a question. It was more of a firm but gentle demand.

"Um... a while." I admitted.

"How long is that?"

"Well he used to come in maybe once or twice a week a while ago. It started with shitty pickup lines and cringy flirtatious things. But then it got a little handsy..." I trailed off, realizing how bad it sounded. I could see his fingers ball into a fist. "He stopped coming for a while. This is the first time I've seen him since then. Though I've never seen him act like that today." I finished explaining, cringing at how horrible it really was.

"Fucking disgusting." he spat under his breath. It seemed as though Levi had forgotten I was there. I sat awkwardly, not wanting to disturb him and make him more upset. I stared at my lap, trying think of something else. Then I suddenly felt warmth on my hand once more. Levi had placed his over mine. I hid a smile and looked at him. He was looking away from me, towards the road. "Are you okay? I was so angry that I forgot to ask." he said quietly.

"I-I'm fine... are you?"

"Now I am. But if I see him anywhere near that damn cafe again I swear I'll-" he stopped so abruptly that I glanced around to see what could have caused it. "Sorry."

"Thank you Levi. I really appreciate it." his head turned and his blue gray eyes met mine. I gave him a warm smile and his eyes softened. He stood and fixed his jacket.

"I'm sorry you had to pretend you were my boyfriend. Must've been difficult." I chuckled. He didn't turn to face me as he spoke.

"No. It was actually quite easy. It felt..." his voice became so quiet I could barely hear it, "...natural." Whatever thing I had planned to say vanished from the back of my throat and I was left utterly speechless. I tried to get a look at his face but all I could see was a slight glow of red on his cheeks.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"It had a nice ring to it. Whatever. Let's go. That asshole is probably kicked out by now." he shoved his hands in his pockets and began to walk away. I scrambled up from the bench and followed him. He walked ahead of me without a word. I was glad for it. I needed to think about what he had just said. My mind was coming up reasons I couldn't prove but I liked them. I decided to act upon the one reason I couldn't shake.

I watched him closely, waiting for my courage to build up to act. Finally I burst and went for it. His elbows stuck out as he walked with his hands hidden away so I had chosen to grab his arm. When I reached it, I stared straight ahead to avoid eye contact. He'd faltered in his steps but quickly composed himself. I could feel his gaze but I held my head firmly forward. My arm had ended up looped through his and we walked linked together. I thought he would shake me off or tell me to stop but he didn't. Quite the contrary in fact. He tightened the loop so I would walk closer to him. My emotions were haywire at the moment and I was off the charts with joy.

We approached the cafe slowly and when we were almost there, Levi stopped.

"I'm going to go in first, okay? Wait out here until it's safe to go in." Levi left my grasp and walked into the cafe. I didn't have to wait long before he walked out again. He looked to his right and then his left, then at me. He nodded his approval and I followed him inside.
The customers had gone back to normal. It seemed like nothing crazy had gone down.

"D-do you want another tea?" I asked. It was the first bit of words spoken since the bench. He observed me for a moment then nodded.

"Only if you make it. I'll pay for it this time." he told me.

Erwin briskly walked up to us and shifted his gaze between the two of us. I could see Hanji peaking from a corner behind him.

"I told her she had to stay there." He told me. I laughed while Erwin turned back to the raven haired man. "What the hell was that all about." Erwin then looked to me.

"Well-" I was cut off.

"We will tell you later. For now I think it's best if _____ gets back to work. I want my black tea." Levi said simply. I tidied my apron and headed to the kitchen to conjure a black tea brew for Levi. He headed back to our booth and waited for me.

-------------------
(˵ ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆˵)