Chapter 16

A week later, auditions were being held for the Annual Performance. Zara and Ayaan had performed their routine in front of their drama in-charge Mrs. Peyton. She was a serious woman with a passion for art and literature. She asked them to wait with other students. Zara was getting anxious when Mrs. Peyton called out, "Ashlyn Cortez"

Zara searched around saying, "I have never heard that name in my life. Who the hell is it?"

A girl with silver straight fringe hair with hazel eyes entered the stage. She wore a small black dress which had an illusion neckline and a thin belt around the waist. Her black buckle-up boots tapped on the wooden stage as she walked to the center. Mrs. Peyton asked, "I have never seen you around. Are you new?"

She nodded, "Yes ma'am, I have transferred here. It is my first day today. I thought I should give the auditions a try"

Zara scoffed, "We have been practicing for weeks and she just gets here and gives a try?"

Ayaan had his eyes glued to the new girl. There was something familiar about her. Mrs. Peyton said in a strict tone, "Miss, do you think you could compete with people who have been rehearsing for weeks?"

She smiled, "And I have been practicing my whole life. I think I can do that"

Ayaan smirked. She had confidence which he liked. When she started singing, the murmuring in the auditorium stopped. Everyone had themselves glued to her performance. She had tears welling up in her eyes as the song came to close. She blinked them away and hit the high note in end. When it ended, Mrs. Peyton stood up clapping. The girl smiled as she received the applause from everyone. Zara stood in the corner observing the crowd. She saw Ayaan clapping but he stopped when he noticed her giving a scowl look. Ashlyn took a bow with a big smile.

Finally, the results were announced. Ashlyn and Ayaan were paired for the performance. Ashlyn was getting congratulated by other students when Ayaan walked up to her saying, "That was quite a performance"

He extended his hand introducing, "I am AK, Ayaan Kapoor"

Her smile disappeared, "Oh, you are AK?"

"Yeah, I am" he replied with a smile. She sighed, "I heard you were the most handsome person in this school. It gave me big expectations. Now, I am disappointed"

He took his hand back, "What do you mean?"

Laughing, she said, "This school definitely has a different definition for handsome, I think. Well, see you later"

She walked out of the auditorium. Ayaan gave a laugh, "I like that. She has fire"

"It felt so good" Inaaya laughed wrapping her silver hair in a bun. She had wiped off her make-up and rested beside Charlotte's bed who was busy reading a magazine. Shutting the magazine, she gave a laugh, "Did you get to see your sister's face? Did she throw herself at you for taking away her spotlight? Did she recognize you?"

Inaaya shook her head, "She didn't actually do any of that. I don't know how that can be?"

Charlotte laid her magazine on the table, "It is the magic of make-over. You had make-up on, you have your hair changed... it is just that you changed. You changed in a person who is not afraid of them, specially that psycho bitch"

Inaaya glared at her, "Hey, she is still my sister"

Charlotte sighed, "On that I sympathize with you with all my heart. I know you can't choose your family"

Inaaya hit her with a cushion and started laughing.