Chapter 37

The results for SATs were out. Last few weeks, every senior worked hard to score their best. Inaaya and Ethan spent their dates in library with one of them quizzing the other. Charlotte used to mock them saying it was easy for them as they were the smart kids of the class. She used to joked with Inaaya, "You are the brilliant genius who skipped two grades. It would be a piece of cake for you"

Inaaya replied rolling her eyes and regretted telling Charlotte that, "That was second and third grade. It is easy. SATs are not that easy"

While Inaaya enjoyed studying with her friends, she used to watch Ayaan at night who would be buried in books. Nicholas and Ayaan would study together which would give Inaaya a hint of Ayaan's progress. She was glad he was working hard. While everyone thought he did it for his college applications, Inaaya knew the real reason behind it which disturbed her more. She knew Zara was too busy to prepare for her tests to notice that Ayaan a.k.a. AK has grown silent and distant. Once, Inaaya tried to talk to him but he ignored her.

Inaaya didn't see the results herself and she didn't care about her score. Her heart feared for Ayaan. She walked to the History section of library and was startled to see Ayaan standing there leaning against the shelf. He smirked, "Surprise. I knew I would find you here"

She pulled out a book on the World War II and sat on the floor. He sat next to her asking, "So you are not going to even talk to me?"

She had her eyes glued to the pages of the book. He rolled his eyes, "Fine, don't talk. I will do the talking. I just came to give you the good news. I scored 5 points more than your boyfriend"

"You came here to gloat?" she asked with a monotone. He laughed, "Maybe. I just wanted to tell you that"

She shut her book asking, "So what now? You want me to leave him and come running to you because you scored better grades than him? I think you know it doesn't work like that. I am not that type of girl"

He turned to her with his hands in his lap, "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to do nothing. Why are you so desperate to make us work? We are two separate people who should stay ten miles away from each other"

"Why? Why should we stay away?" he stared into her eyes. She stammered, "Be...because...because it is not right. It is forbidden"

He titled his head to side with a smirk, "I love things when they are forbidden"

She pointed her finger at him, scolding, "Don't, don't do that"

He took her hand but she scooted back saying, "Ayaan, listen to yourself. I thought you were in love with my sister"

"No, I was not. I didn't even knew I loved you before I said it to you. I thought I was sick or something because every time I saw you with him, it was like someone kicked me in stomach with a big hammer, you know the one they have in cartoons"

She sighed, "Really? Well, that is called Jealousy. I have had quite an experience of it"

He hopped closer to her with their knees touching, "Listen, you love me and I love you. We are breaking four heart by staying apart. You are lying to Ethan and I am lying to Zara"

She squinted her eyes, "I am not lying to him anything. How do you know I don't love him?"

She stood up brushing off the dirt saying, "Trust is very hard thing to earn. And... I can't trust anything about you"

As she walked to the other section, he got up and kicked the shelf nearby in anger knocking some books down.