Chapter 48

Next morning, Ayaan woke up to an empty bed. He sat up and replayed last night in his mind. A smile appeared on his face remembering her touch. He climbed out of the bed and wore his clothes which were kept on the couch. He climbed downstairs and found Vanilla wandering in the living room. She came running to him and he picked her in his arm. He had never felt this kind of joy. He found Inaaya making sandwich in kitchen. He let go of Vanilla on the kitchen floor and hugged Inaaya from behind. Her hair had a lavender smell. He felt her body go stiff. Kissing the side of her neck, he lazily whispered, "Good morning"

She replied nodding, "Good morning"

There was something odd, he could feel it. She didn't relax. He asked, "Should I help you?"

She shook her head. He stepped back asking, "What's wrong?"

She turned around and stared at the floor. He asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

She shook her head, "I think you should leave. The rain has stopped and you are fine"

He was still confused, "I'll go if you want"

"And...just forget that last night anything happened. It was a mistake anyways" she said as she turned back to the counter. He stared at her with disbelief. He felt the rage building inside him. Sighing, he asked, "So, you are just going to throw me away like a used napkin?"

Inaaya closed her eyes to control her tears. She knew she had to be tough. She replied clenching the side of the counter, "I didn't use you or anything. It was mistake. We lost control"

He scoffed, "Lost control? Control of what?"

She blinked away her tears saying, "Ayaan, you are my sister's boyfriend. She is madly in love with you. I can't do this to her"

He yelled, "Look at me and answer that you don't love me. You know in your heart that you love me more that her. Look at me and say that I don't love you"

She took a deep breath and turned around. He continued, "I am her ex-boyfriend. She doesn't have any right over me now"

She saw his eyes which had hurt in them. He had a right to be angry. He stared at her before walking out of the kitchen. She followed him. He grabbed his jacket saying, "I am done with your games. I am done being a pawn for both of you"

Turning around, he said, "I thought you were different. But you are just like your sister. No, you are much worse. Because you pretend that you are naïve and all but in reality, you know how to play with someone"

She shouted as tears rolled down her face, "I am not like her. I don't pretend anything"

Vanilla came running to him. He argued, "I think the only one who doesn't pretend to be someone else is your dog. You think last night was a huge mistake. Fine. It might be for you but for me, it was one of the best nights because I get to spend it with the girl that I love. Or loved... Because now, you are making me regret that I even fell for you. I am done running after you, so if you ever decide that you ever loved me, then come looking for me"

He slammed door as he walked out of the door. She sat on the floor crying with her head resting on her knees. Vanilla stuffed her head between her legs. She took her and hugged her tightly. Everything was ruined. This morning when she saw his face lying peacefully beside her, she felt content. He was a forbidden fruit, she remembered when she was caressing his hair. Her heart didn't feel guilty as it felt she was where she belonged but her mind made her wonder about her sister. After some minutes, Inaaya wiped her tears and in her heart knew she had made a huge mistake.