Chapter 23

"I swear Charlotte Evelyn Perkins if you take me to another of those parties, I will kill you" Inaaya scolded Charlotte on phone. She was lying in the bed with Vanilla cuddled next to her. Stroking the dog's head, she said, "I hate going to parties"

"Fine, listen I am already having a headache, please stop talking so loudly"

"I have a headache too. And how did you get me in my house without my parents getting a single clue?"

"I didn't get you home. I was so wasted that someone dropped me home. I thought it was you"

"I am totally freaking out now. A stranger knew how to sneak in my house. Do you think I should inform the cops?"

"No, then your parents will know that you got drunk and I will be banned from your house"

"Fine, but I should definitely ask them to change locks"

"Yeah, maybe. Hey, did you decide on whether you will go to Delaware or not, for that French ambassador seminar thing?"

"I am thinking about it. Mr. Cooper said it will help in understanding the culture"

"I am going because I want to get out of this city and have fun"

"I am going to go. I'll call you back" Inaaya hung up as she saw her mother enter the room with a lemonade. Keeping it on side table, Mrs. Nanda sat near the foot asking, "Are you okay? You didn't go to school today"

She replied in soft voice, "I have a headache"

"Yes, that's why I brought this. It helps with hangover" she smiled. Inaaya was surprised. She asked, 'How did you..."

"I know it was your first time at a party like this. You should drink this before we discuss the rules"

As she emptied the glass, her mother spoke, "Sweetie, I want to talk to you about that day"

Inaaya interrupted, "I am really sorry. I shouldn't have spoken to you guys like that. I just..."

"Shush, let me finish" her mother took her hand and continued, "We didn't send you away as a punishment. We wanted to protect you. We thought keeping Zara away from you will be a safe thing to do. Your grandparents have raised you well. I...I couldn't have raised you better. Maybe if you were here, you would have ended up being like Zara" she said as Inaaya listened startled. "She is my daughter. I know there is good inside her. I know it. I just want you to give her a chance. You knew the sister who used to take care of you like you were her kid?"

She shook head, "All I remember is the sister who tried to push me off the tree-house"

Sighing, her mother patted her hand, "You want to know the reason we brought you here? Don't tell your dad I told you this ...but he had a heart attack last month. All he wanted to do was to hold his precious daughter. He wanted us to be a family again. We love you honey. I know we are the bad guys here but you have to understand that we wanted to keep you safe but we grew selfish and brought you back here"

Inaaya couldn't control her tears and hugged her saying, "You didn't tell me he had a heart attack? Why didn't you tell me that? I am ready to give everything a second chance. After all, every parent screws up"

Her mother laughed and kissed her forehead. She pushed a fringe back saying, "I like this whole look of yours. But I don't want any going away for weeks again. Also, when you get drunk, you don't let anyone take any advantage of you. Is it clear?"

Inaaya laughed, "I am not going to drink again. But I'll keep those things in mind"

As her mother left the room, Inaaya walked over to the window. She watched the space where the tree house was. They destroyed every last bit of it to get the memories out of their head, she thought. Family can be a mess but you have to try to love that mess.