Chapter 29

It was Sunday morning. Ayaan was sitting by his window waiting for a message from Nicholas when he saw Inaaya singing to Vanilla. The sweet voice could be heard like a murmur though his window. Her soft tresses radiated like threads of gold in sunlight.  She swirled around the bed with a pile of books and placed them on the shelf. Occasionally, she would bend and kiss on Vanilla's nose. A smile appeared on his face when he saw her doing goofy things for Vanilla who was jumping on the bed. 'I could have been yours' these words echoed in his head. The heaviness on his heart returned. Whenever she laughed with the other guy, he would feel uneasiness creeping inside his body. It was unusual feeling for him. Nicholas had suggested that it might be guilt that he was feeling but whenever a tight knot occurred in his stomach after seeing her, he knew it was much more than that. She climbed in bed with a book in her hands and Vanilla rested her head on her stomach. His mother entered the room startling him. He asked, "Mom, I thought you were out. I didn't hear you"

She asked with a sparkle in her eyes, "Who were looking at with love-stuck eyes?"

His mother would tease him to cheer him, he knew that. But he wondered whether his face was reflecting his feelings. Laughing, he shook his head and sat on his bed, "Love-stuck eyes, really? You are seeing things"

She turned to window and saw Inaaya reading a novel with her hand stroking Vanilla. She called out, "Inaaya honey"

Putting the book down, she walked over to the window smiling, "Yes, Mrs. K"

"Will help me with baking stuff again? I am really sorry to bother you"

She shook her head, "It is not no problem Mrs. K. I will be right there. Are you going to the orphanage, again?"

Mrs. Kapoor nodded, "Yes, but it is another one across the city. You want to come?"

She gave an apologetic smile, "I am so sorry. I would have loved to but I already have plans for tonight"

"There is always next time, sweetie. Now, I'll see you in five minutes in my kitchen"

"Okay boss" she laughingly replied. As Mrs. Nanda swirled around, she said, "Isn't she an angel or what?"

Ayaan faked a smile as his mother left the room. He muttered under his breath, "And I am the devil"

Inaaya followed Mrs. Kapoor tying her hair in a bun. When she noticed Ayaan, her smile dropped. She had hoped not to run into him. She asked giving a fake smile, "Are you going to help this time?"

Mrs. Kapoor replied enthusiastically, "Of course he will"

They started arranging things for the batter. When Mrs. Kapoor was whisking the eggs, she got a call. She told Inaaya, "Sweetie, I have to take this. I know you are good. Can you manage? Oh, and can you make Cinnamon Rolls?"

She smilingly cocked her head to side, "Of course, Mrs. K"

As Mrs. Kapoor was about to leave kitchen, she turned around to her son, "Ayu, help her"

He nodded. When she left, Inaaya shook her head, "I don't need your help. You can sit and chat with Zara. You can send recordings too for another announcement. Do you want me say something sexy?"

He walked closer to the counter asking, "Can't we forget that? It was months ago. I got humiliated too that day. You slapped me in front of whole school, remember?"

She preheated the oven and turned around with her hand on her waist, "Really? So, do guys make dirty jokes when you pass by them, every freaking time?"

He didn't answer. He had witnessed some boys pass comments when she walked by them. What she didn't know was that he had threatened them after she had left. She nodded, "Yeah, I thought so"

She began mixing the ingredients to make the dough for Cinnamon rolls. He ran his hand through his hair saying, "I am sorry"

She began kneading the dough, "Stop saying that. It is not going to make me forgive you. I am trying to move on. You go on with your life too"

Her fringes started sticking to her sweaty face. She tried to push it back but her hands were covered in dough mixture. He came close asking, "May I?"

She shook her head but he stepped behind her and pushed her hair back caressing the side of her neck. A sensation sparked inside him. He locked his hands around her waist. Her hair smelled like coconut. As he placed his chin on her shoulder, he could smell her mild lily perfume. Her body was tensed, he could sense it. She could feel her heart racing. His touch... she didn't imagine that his touch could still affect her. Her mind screamed to get away but her body defied all the commands. She felt his warm breath on her neck that made her catch her breath. His hands sneaked inside her tank top over her soft skin on her waist. His touch was warm against her skin. His presence was driving her crazy. She gasped as if trying to breathe after a long time when his lips landed on her shoulder. He closed his eyes trying to savor every moment and whispered in her ear, "Why is it that whenever I am around you, I lose control of myself"

He was kissing the nape of her neck when he heard the footsteps. He pulled himself away with heavy heart. Inaaya let out the breath with her hands on the counter to steady herself. Ayaan took the cookie dough and started eating it. Mrs. Kapoor entered the kitchen. When she saw Ayaan with cookie dough, she snatched the bowl from him saying, "I said to help not eat"

He licked the spoon but kept his eyes on Inaaya who had resumed her work saying, "I messed up, mom. I messed up bad"

"Then make it right. Don't just sit and wait for things to happen for you. You have to at least give it a try. Am I right Inaaya?" she turned around asking. Inaaya shrugged keeping her eyes glued to the dough, "Maybe the mess is irreversible?"

Ayaan's mother smiled and walked over to the counter saying, "Then we start fresh. I know it is not going to be simple but starting fresh is way easier than crying over the spilled milk"

Ayaan watched her with a knot in his stomach as she smilingly worked with his mother.