Chapter 65

Inaaya snuggled next to Ayaan in his bed while he was bandaging his hand. He had a swollen eye with some bruises on his arm. When she started reading her book, he asked, "Aren't you going to be like the girls in movies and help me bandage?"

She squinted, "No, because you did this to yourself. I tried to stop you"

"He tried to grab you against your will. He tore off your sweater" he argued. She shook her head, "He was not himself. He was not aware of what he was doing. Also, I can handle my fights. You don't have to fight for me"

"And what about Zara? How are you going to justify that?"

She stared at him and sighed. A memory flashed before his eyes, his hands hurting her and tears filling up her eyes. He shook his head, "I have apologized for it a lot of time. Are you going to bring it up every time?"

"I am not saying it is the same thing. What he did to Zara cannot be justified. It was wrong. Wrong beyond repair. But it's not up to us to handle situations for other people. I accept that he did a wrong thing, but I am trying to understand him... Factually, you were the one who started attacking him." Ayaan sighed, Inaaya knew he was not trying to find rationality in his actions, "You didn't have to beat him like a mad person" she raised her voice so that he would listen to what she's saying. He rolled his eyes and walked over to his closet. She continued, "And you should be thankful he didn't press any charges and you are just suspended for a week."

He took out a t-shirt saying, "He should be thankful that neither you nor Zara are pressing charges. I am not thanking him for anything"

When he started taking off his shirt, he shrieked in pain. Inaaya came to help him. He wrapped his arms around her saying, "I don't want you to get hurt again."

She started adjusting his hair, "I know that. And I am grateful for that. But you can't just go around and be my bodyguard. I don't need one. I need a boyfriend"

He kissed her cheek. When she didn't smile, he tilted his head to side pouting, "Are we going to argue about this more?"

She sighed and her tone turned soft, "I don't want to fight. You are right but you can't just go around protecting people"

This made Ayaan's heart cave in. She didn't know how he felt when she was lying in his arms like a lifeless doll. "Aye, aye captain" he replied as he swirled her around making her laugh. She asked, "What are you doing?"

They started swaying. He entwined his fingers at her back saying, "Since I can't take you to the Winter Ball, I thought I owe you a dance. I feel bad that you will not get to enjoy our first official ball."

Smilingly, she kissed him. His hands moved against the curves of her body. She replied, "We will have so much at home with Vanilla and Netflix. Also, we have a bad record for dances"

He laughed, "I wanted to break that record"

She buried her head in his chest, "We'll have graduation prom for that. I am not going to let you do anything stupid then"

"Yes ma'am" he replied with a nod. Wrapping his arms around her, he sighed with relief. She was always like a glass rose for him but watching her stand up for Zara that day made him realize that she is more of a steel than glass.