Chapter 44

"That is so freaking amazing" Zara walked in the living room talking on phone, "We were supposed to go Miami but...now I don't know. Ms. Drama has holed up in her bedroom and my parents are being...what's that word, "caring and sensitive" towards her....Everyone has break-ups...I know..." she laughed, "Well, enjoy your vacations"

Hanging up, she spun around to see her parents staring at her. She shrugged, "What? Dina is going to Hawaii for her trip"

She jumped on the couch whining, "Why can't we go somewhere?"

Mrs. Nanda replied keeping her book down, "Sweetie, we can't leave Inaaya like that. She needs us right now"

"No, she doesn't. She had been in that room for a week. People get over that kind of stuff. She is being a baby. I went through break-up too, I didn't cry like a baby. I don't want to waste my fall break with Moaning Myrtle. Mom dad, please. I am begging you and you know I don't do that a lot"

Mr. Nanda shook his head and turned to his wife saying, "I'll check on her"

He climbed up the stairs and knocked the door which was open. As he entered, he saw Inaaya curled up in a blanket with Vanilla cuddled against her. He started stroking her hair as sat next to her. He asked softly, "Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

Inaaya sat up saying, "Actually I do"

She took Vanilla in arms saying, "Take her wherever she wants to go. I want to be alone. I don't want her complaining about how I ruined her fall break too"

His nose wrinkled, "Sweetie, are you talking about Zara or Vanilla?"

"Of course I am talking about Zara. Vanilla is my hug cushion. I don't want her to go. I want Zara to go and have fun or whatever she wants to have. I can hear her whining about how you guys have cancelled the trip because me. Her volume rises whenever she comes near my room. Please dad, take her to that stupid vacation" she replied frustrated. He took her hand, "But what about you?"

"I'll be fine. I can handle myself for a week"

"It would not be a family vacation without you"

"Dad, it had been a family vacation without me for years. This year would not make much of a difference" she shrugged. Truth stung Mr. Nanda's heart. He nodded, "We'll try to return as soon as possible"

She nodded before sliding back in her blankets. Mr. Nanda walked out of the room with heavy heart.

*****

"Mom, I will be fine" Inaaya reassured her mother as she helped her load her bags in the car. Mrs. Nanda kissed her forehead saying, "We'll be back in four days"

She smiled as her mother climbed in the back-seat of the car. She wanted to wish Zara goodbye but her sister plugged in her headphones and ignored her. She waved at them till their car turned around the corner. When she entered the house, she saw Vanilla staring at her sitting on the stairs. She laughed, "Finally Vanilla, she is gone. I know I am bad person for thinking that my sister is a bitch but it is a universal fact now"

Vanilla barked. She rolled her eyes, "Okay, I'll not call her bitch. I know I should not use bitch word as a bad word because you are a bitch but you are the most adorable creature in this whole universe"

Vanilla licked her hand. Inaaya played with her for some time before returning to her room and watching some action flicks. As the day passed, she finished reading a novel. Turning to Vanilla, she asked, "V, why do people have crappy lives? Why can't we just eat and sleep without any worries like you?"

Vanilla kept her head low and drifted off to sleep. Inaaya announced, "And she is asleep again"

The following day, there was knock on the door. Inaaya saw Ayaan standing at the door with a bunch of flowers in his hand when she opened the door. He wore a white shirt which outlined every part of his body with a dark blue pants and had his hair combed neatly. Inaaya sucked a breath at him as her heart started beating faster. Vanilla ran out and started circling around him happily. She mocked, "Dad is not here. You can come for job interview later"

He smirked, "Actually, I brought these for you"

He gave her the bouquet. She shook her head, "I am not the 'flowers' girl. I find it waste of money and exploiting the nature"

He laughed, "Yeah, I knew that. They are fake. Actually it will symbolize my love for you"

"That your love is fake?"

"No, that my love for you will remain till these flowers are alive"

"But these are fake" she replied. He sighed, "It sounded way good in the movie. I should have explained it differently"

She gave a laugh, "You should stop watching movies like that. What are you doing here anyways? Weren't you supposed to leave with your mom to meet your dad?"

He stuffed his hands in pocket saying, "Well, I...stayed behind when I got to know that you are at home alone. I thought I should...you know not leave you alone"

She faked a smile, "I want to be alone. And I definitely don't want to be with you"

Saying this she shut the door. A moment later, she realized she forgot something. She quickly unlocked the door and found Ayaan playing with Vanilla. She put her hands on her waist saying, "Give me my dog back"

She forcefully took Vanilla and slammed shut the door. After some hours, Inaaya heard a noise on the back porch. A panic crept in her. She walked carefully to the door and found Ayaan sitting in the backyard. She asked, "What the hell are you doing?"

"Charlotte said you wanted to say something to me that night. I will not leave till you tell me what it was" he relaxed on lawn chair. She shook her head in disbelief, "It was nothing. Stop being an idiot and leave. You are trespassing"

He smirked, "I know you'll not send me to jail"

How did he knew her so well, she thought. Stomping her feet in the grass, she said, "Fine, stay as long as you want. And if you die here, dig yourself your own grave"

As she walked back to house, he shouted, "I am way more stubborn than you. I will be here as long as you don't say those magical words"