three

I quickly make my way into the high school, going straight to my locker. I actually arrive on time today which is the biggest shock of all. The car was ready for me and Jake wasn't being annoying about sharing it. He knows during the week I take it to school, he's lucky i'm able to walk from our shitty little house to my shitty little job.

I swing the metal open and stare into my locker. It only has one book in it, surrounded by old gum wrappers and crumpled up papers of guys phone numbers.

I shake my head and shut it again, jumping at the fact that a person is standing next to me.

"You good?" Tom stares at me with his intense hazel eyes, smiling at my reaction.

"Asshole, you scared me." I let out a deep breath as I continue to look at him.

"Stella, right?" His playful voice asks.

"Wow, are you seriously going to act like you don't know my name?" I roll my eyes and let out an overly dramatic sigh.

"I'm kidding, don't hurt me." He throws his hands up with a laugh.

"You're lucky you have such a pretty face, or else I would." I lean my body against the locker and turn my head to keep our eyes connected.

"I think your face is way prettier." He lightly smirks at me.

"Okay, enough of this cringey shit." I let out a laugh, causing him to do the same. "What's up?"

"I'm sorry for acting weird yesterday. Your friend caught me off guard." He clears his throat.

"Grayson Dolan is not my friend." I correct his inaccurate statement. "He was just being a dick, I don't have an STD."

"I didn't think you did." He lowly tells me, still making direct eye contact with me. "It pissed me off that he would say that, though."

"I don't know where you fit on the scale, but the guys here are straight up assholes. Especially if you're a jock or rich." Or both if you're Grayson.

"I would fall at zero because I'm neither of those things." His mouth curves into a small smile.

"Interesting." I tilt my head as my eyes roam his body. His muscles alone tells me he works out, but his casual style of a t-shirt and jeans don't scream "i'm a rich douchebag." Maybe he is one of the rare ones.

"You don't seem like the stuck up popular girl either, unless i'm just reading you wrong."

"I'm popular, but not in the way you think." I shrug as I bite down on my lower lip.

Another grin forms on his face as he inches closer to me. "So, could I maybe get your number or something?"

Normally I would be eager to get a fling going, but Tom seems different. I lightly smirk as I lean closer to his ear. "You have to earn it first." I whisper as I take a step back from him.

He continues to stare at me as I walk away, leaving him high and dry. A small laugh escapes my lips as my body fills with adrenaline. I love playing the field with these hot guys. I walk down the hallway and spot Lanie and Ethan talking by his locker. I make my way over to them and let out a small laugh.

"Guess who just played hard to get with the hot new guy?" I smirk as they both stare at me. "I'll give you a hint, her name rhymes with Bella."

"Play hard to get?" Lanie furrows her eyebrows. "Stella, please tell me you didn't do anything stupid."

"He asked for my number and I simply informed him that he needed to earn it." I shrug.

"Oh, come on." Ethan lets out a groan while Lanie shakes her head. "You should have just given it to him."