twenty three

Wind lightly blows through my hair as I limp over to the baseball field. The small bleachers are filled up with students and proud parents cheering on our undefeated team.

Gripping onto my bag, I exhale a tiny breath. Even though the weather is warm, I'm wearing dark denim jeans and a plain white t-shirt. I refuse to let anyone see my cut. It will only draw unwanted attention to me, which I don't want. Grayson kept his word by not telling a soul what happened. It still shocks me that he would comfort me and actually keep my secret.

I approach the field and see that the game is already halfway through. My green orbs scan the players, eyeing each of them. I finally spot Grayson, who is pitching today's game.

He looks focused and determined like he usually does. I turn my body to face the bleachers and see Ethan sitting in the top right corner. I walk up the steps and lightly grin to myself.

"Hey." I call out to him.

He shoots his head up, a small smile carving onto his lips. "Stella, hey."

"Where's Lanie?" I ask while taking a seat next to him.

"Making up a math test, she should be here soon." He informs me.

I nod my head and keep my eyes on the field. The warmness of the sun radiates my skin as I lean back on the bleachers.

"How are things going with Grayson?" He asks while looking straight ahead.

I clear my throat and glance down at my hands. "Better."

"He said you guys were friends now." A wide smile grows on his lips.

"He told you that?" I keep my eyes down.

"Yeah, he seemed happy about it." Ethan shrugs as he looks back at his twin.

"It's probably an act in order to get your jeep." I softly laugh at my own sentence.

"Maybe, but it didn't seem like it."

"What are you trying to say?" I raise my eyebrows and turn my posture to face him.

"Grayson has never been friends with a girl before, ever." A lighthearted chuckle escapes his mouth as he shakes his head.

"You're the reason for that." I refer to the challenge that started it all.

"I was right so far." He smirks as he looks back at the field. "I knew you guys would actually get along."

"Do you think he's going to lose?" I tilt my head as I stare at him.

"I guess we'll have to see about that." He turns to look at me.

I stay silent for a few minutes, not sure how to respond. "When was the last time he hooked up with somebody?"

Ethan thinks for a moment, furrowing his eyebrows in the process. "Not sure, but it's been awhile. Grayson used to have random girls over every weekend. I never even knew half their names, I don't think he did either."

"Why are you guys so different?" I push myself to ask. "You're a total sweetheart and he's... well, he's Grayson."

"I like to stay humble." He casually states with a low shrug. "I know my parents are filthy rich, I'm aware that we live in a mansion and all drive fancy cars. I saw the way it got to their heads, including Grayson. I never wanted to be that way and promised myself I wouldn't."

"That's comforting." I let out a small laugh.

"It's not all that matters to me. Grayson always used it to his advantage. Girls gravitated toward him because he has money. I don't think a girl has ever liked him for who he truly is." He lets out a sad sigh as he looks back at his brother.