eighteen

My arms stay crossed over my chest as my foot taps on the grass. A light breeze blows through my hair while my patience grows short. The lake in front of me is still and not a sound is heard around the area.

I lean back on the bench and tilt my head up. Clenching on my jaw and closing my eyes, I inhale the fresh air into my nostrils. The sound of a car door shutting causes my body to jolt up.

Grayson marches over to me from his porsche, an ice pack is placed in his right hand.

"You're late." I mutter with a hint of attitude laced in my voice.

"We aren't getting into that." He rolls his eyes and takes a seat next to me.

"Why did you have to hit him?" My voice cracks as I look at his bruised face. It's not as bad as Tom's, but it's still apparent to the fact that it was beat in.

"The guy is so goddamn annoying and doesn't mind his own business."

"You didn't need to put your hands on him!" I throw my arms up, getting really annoyed.

"I'm an asshole, this isn't new information." He scoffs as he looks toward the water.

"He got suspended because of you." I shake my head and bite on the inside of my cheek.

"I know, I was there." He rolls his eyes again.

"It's not fair that you get away with being a dick all because you're rich and popular." I give my honest opinion.

"The baseball team wouldn't survive without me and I need that scholarship."

"Oh please, you act as if you can't afford college." My body is twitching with anger.

"I need to know what my mom said to you." He lowly states, almost too afraid to ask.

"Why do you care?" I scoff with a fake laugh.

"I saw you two talking at the bar and after that you completely ignored me." He turns his head in my direction.

"So what? Why do you care if I ignored you?"

"I know how my parents are." He keeps his stare on me.

I stay quiet for a moment and look at the lake. "She asked me if we were having sex."

"She said that?!" His voice gets louder as his jaw drops.

"You don't have the best track record as far as girls go, even she knows that." I sigh as I keep my eyes straight ahead. "She said that she's been trying to get you to settle down with a girl for a few years now."

"What else?" He lets out a sigh.

"I told her we were just friends and she said that she thinks i'm making you happy. Her reasoning is that you would never allow a girl to meet her. She thinks you need somebody like me in your life." I ramble on, spilling my guts. "It got me nervous because of my feelings toward the world of relationships. It scares me and hearing her talk about it made me feel weird." I can't believe I just opened up and told him that.

"We aren't in a relationship, you have nothing to worry about." He exhales a breath as he looks at the lake.

"I know, but she doesn't think that." I kick my feet as I look down.

"Did you really say we were friends?" He lowly asks as he eyes me.

"Yeah." I sigh as I force myself to look his way.

"Are we?" He gulps as he stares at me. "Friends?"

"Not when you act like a dick." I scoff and break our gaze.