sixteen

"Okay, all done!" Lanie's happy voice informs me as I open my eyes. A wide grin appears on her face while I slowly stand up from the chair. I walk toward her mirror and lowly gasp.

"Holy shit." The reflection takes me back as I focus on it.

"What do you think?" She anxiously presses her hands together.

My long brown hair is perfectly curled and my face is covered in makeup. Sparkly eyeshadow sits on top of my eyelids while nude lipstick takes over my lips.

My eyeliner makes my green eyes pop and the fake eyelashes add more volume to the look. The dress fits me perfectly, even though i'm wobbling a bit in Lanie's heels. I can't believe this is me right now.

"I feel beautiful." I admit with a small smile. I have never felt like this a day in my messy and unorganized life.

"You look breathtaking." Lanie smiles as she walks closer to me. Her hair is straightened and her makeup is a little darker than mine.

"Thank you for doing all of this." I look at her with another grin.

"Anytime, I love doing makeovers." She giggles as she grabs her purse from her dresser. "Ready to go?"

I nod my head as I look back at myself in the mirror one last time. I inhale a short breath as we make our way outside and into Lanie's car.

"Are you excited?" She asks as she starts the engine.

"I've never really been to an event like this so I don't know what to expect." I shrug as I look down at the dress.

"The Dolans know how to throw a party." She lets out a laugh while pulling away from her house.

"Do Sean and Lisa actually like me?" I look back at her.

"Of course, why wouldn't they?"

"I don't know." I mutter as I look out the window. I don't have the best experience with parental figures, so trying to please them is a challenge for me.

"They can be intimidating at times but they're harmless." She reassures me.

I nod my head and don't bother responding with a comment. I inhale another breath as I look out the window. I know I shouldn't feel nervous, but I do. I don't want anything to slip out about my real life or the fact that i'm not on the same spectrum as them.

I lean back in the seat and anxiously wait for Lanie to arrive at the dining hall. When we finally do, my stomach does ten backflips. I need to mentally prepare myself for all of the lies i'm going to tell. I follow my excited friend out of the car and into the building.

My breath is taken away once we step into the party area. It's almost as big as the simple dining room in the Dolan household. Flowers are sitting on each table and pictures of Sean and Lisa over the years are scattered around the room. Classical music fills my ears as people begin to arrive.

"Lanie." Ethan's voice calls out as he walks over to us. A happy smile takes over her face as she wraps her arms around his neck and passionately kisses him.

"Hi." She giggles as she keeps her body close to him.

"You look amazing." He blushes as he stares at her dress.

"And you look very handsome." She compliments his suit and dress shoes.

Ethan's eyes move toward me as he takes in my appearance. "Damn Stella, you look great."

"Thanks." I look back down at my outfit.

"I've never seen you all dressed up, you almost look unrecognizable." He continues to smile while staring at me.