fourteen

I glance at the clock hanging above one of the half-broken yogurt machines. Three more minutes until i'm home free.

Both places are dreadful to be at, but if this uniform stays on my body any longer i'm going to scream. Working at a yogurt shop isn't the worst job in the world, I just hate everything about it.

The dull atmosphere just sucks the complete life out of me. The minute the clock reads seven thirty, i'm out of there. I head to the bathroom to take off my gross apron and stupid hat i'm required to wear. I clock out and grab my bag, pulling my phone out of one of the secret compartments.

My breathing hitches when I see a new text from Tom. He's been avoiding me all week, and for good reason. I click on the message to see what he has to say.

tom:
in need of a distraction, you down?

My interest is peaked as I read his words over and over. My thumbs begin to type away as I bite down on my lower lip.

me:
I thought you were mad at me..

I lock my phone and make my way out of the shop. I grip my bag around my shoulder as the warm air hits my skin. I love when the weather transitions from spring to almost summer. The loud buzz of my text tone rings through my pocket as I pull my phone out again.

tom:
how could anyone stay mad at you?? 236 acre street, if you wanna come over

I stop walking once I stare down at the message. My stomach turns with a rush of adrenaline as I bite on my lower lip. Jake is working so he has the car, and of course my drunk dad is sitting on a bar stool somewhere.

I put my phone back in my pocket and continue to walk down one of the streets, holding onto the strap of my bag. Knowing this is going to be a long walk, I pull out my headphones and plug the cord into my phone. Tom's aggressive and dominate behavior is both sexy and confusing at the same time. I know he can be super sweet and I also know he has a hotter side to him, it's just rare for a guy to be both.

My feet move through our town as I navigate the address through my GPS. It's not a shock that it's leading me into the north side. After turning down a few more streets, I arrive at my destination. His house is the perfect medium. Not as big as Grayson's but not a dump like mine.

It's actually the type of house I always dreamed of living in. I walk up to the front door and ring the doorbell, tapping my foot on the ground. I take a step back once he is revealed to my view.

"I didn't think you would show up." He peers down at me.

"Here I am." I tilt my head as I stare at him.

"Come in." He moves to the side and gestures to walk into his home. I follow his instructions and step into the house.

It's neat and very clean, the opposite from the way I live. I hear the front door shut which causes me to turn around.

"I'm sorry." I blurt out as I stare at him. "I didn't mean to be a bitch to you and I feel really bad about it. I don't want you to think I was using you for sex because that technically wasn't the case I was just-"

"Stella, calm down." He places his hands on my shoulders as a tiny smile forms on his face. "It's alright, i'm not mad at you."

"Really?" I gulp as I stare into his eyes.

"I shouldn't have gotten pissed at you in the first place and not talking to you was stupid. I really missed your sarcastic comments." A happy smile appears over his lips as he cups my face.