thirty

(warning: this chapter features strong material in it such as violence and abuse. please read with caution.)

My green eyes stare up at my bedroom ceiling, folding my hands together. My thoughts are on overdrive today and I don't particularly know why. I guess a lot has been on my mind. I'm slowly seeing a change in myself, something I was not expecting. I catch myself thinking about life more deeper than I ever have.

Since graduation is only weeks away, I'm starting to regret not taking school seriously. A deep sigh escapes my lips as I peacefully close my eyes. Lately I've had this recurring dream of actual happiness. Bright colors and warm light surround me as I navigate through a perfect world. A world where I'm financially stable and living on my own. I'm going to college and making unforgettable memories with my friends.

It's simply a world where I fall in love, get married, go on a beautiful honeymoon and have children of my own. I'm happy, confident, beautiful, outgoing and totally successful. I dress up everyday in gorgeous dresses and have so much money I don't know what to do with myself.

My deep thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I open my eyes and reach over to my night stand, seeing a random and unsaved number pop up on the screen. My thumb slides to accept the call before I press the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I let out a small breath.

"Stella? It's Lisa Dolan."

My eyes widen as I immediately sit up. "Lisa, hi. Is everything alright?"

"Yes, just fine. I didn't mean to disrupt your Sunday, Grayson gave me your phone number." A light laugh escapes her lips. "I was wondering if you thought about my offer?"

"Of course I thought about it." I nod while tugging on my bottom lip.

"So, what do you say? Will you accept the lessons?"

Nerves dance around in my stomach as I look down at my hands. "Yes, I would love to take piano lessons."

"Great! I was hoping you would say yes." Another laugh comes out of her mouth. "I figured we could start next week, does that work with your schedule?"

"Yes, of course." I nod my head with a small smile. "Thank you so much for doing all of this, I hope it isn't too much trouble."

"Nonsense, it's the least I can do. You make my son's very happy, especially Grayson."

My skin heats up by her simple words. I try to control the unintentional smile appearing on my lips. "I appreciate it."

"The real reason I'm calling is because Sean and I are going out with some friends tonight. One of them happens to have a sister who is an administrator at Julliard."

"Oh, wow." I mumble while gulping.

"I can inquire about getting you an interview, or even an application if going out to New York is too much of a hassle." Her tone of voice is filled with happiness and excitement.

"I would love that, but my grades are nonexistent." I cringe while telling her this information. "They would see my transcripts and laugh at me." I lighten the mood with a chuckle.

"I'll try my best to work something out for you." She finally speaks.

"Thank you." I nod while looking down at my bed.

"Have a good night, Stella." She concludes the phone call before hanging up.

The second the line goes dead, I let out an anxious breath. This is all happening so fast. I slowly sit up and look around my tiny bedroom. Getting out of bed, I creak the door open and peek around the hallway. A noise coming from downstairs causes my feet to follow the sound. I reach the bottom of the steps and walk toward the kitchen, seeing Jake opening the cabinets.