twenty eight

I pull on the door handle of my chevy truck, opening it from the inside. The metal keys stay in my right hand as I push the door open with my left. I can already feel the warmth of the outside air as I quickly hop out of the car and shut the door. The sun is starting to set, causing the sky to turn a beautiful orange color.

After shoving the keys in my back pocket, I walk up the long block. The usual gorgeous houses fill up each side of the street, which I pass everyday. The light breeze of the wind blows through my brown hair as my converse walk along the road. My eyes shift up to the court, spotting the perfect Dolan mansion.

I swallow some unexpected nerves as I start to push my feet up the driveway. My movement stops when the front door swings up, revealing Grayson to my view. He steps out of the house and nods his head in my direction.

"Where's your car?" He casually asks.

"Hello to you too." I roll my eyes with a light laugh.

"Hi Monroe. Now, where is your car?" A low smile hangs on his lips.

"Down the street." I shrug and keep my eyes on his.

"Can I see it?" He keeps his tiny grin as he begins to walk past me.

"Absolutely not." I widen my eyes and run after him.

"Are we really going to play this game? I already know everything about you." He turns back to face me.

"Why do you care about my crappy car?" I mumble as my tone turns more serious.

"Because I want to see it, is that a crime?"

"Fine." I let out a sigh while walking into the street. He lowly smirks as he follows my lead.

Why is he still so annoying? Almost a month later and he still gets on my nerves. The breeze hits my skin as I lead him toward my beat up car. Once we are close enough, I motion toward it. "Happy now?"

He doesn't say anything, he simply walks over to it and examines the exterior. "This isn't so bad."

"That's a funny joke." I scoff and shake my head.

"It isn't." He turns back around to look at me. "You know, you could park it in my driveway."

"I don't want your parents to see it." I admit while letting out a breath.

"Who cares what they think?" He keeps his eye on the vehicle.

"I don't want them to judge me." I shrug while staring at him.

"They wouldn't, you're perfect in their eyes." He laughs as he steps away from it. Without another word, he walks back up the street.

"That was it?" I call out as I try to catch up to him. "You just wanted to look at it?"

"Yeah." He shoves his hands into the pocket of his baggy shorts as he walks up his driveway.

"You're weird, Dolan." I laugh while following him over toward his front door.

"So I've been told." He mutters while stepping into the quiet house.

I simply nod and wait for his instruction. I don't know if we're going upstairs to his room or going outside to sit on the patio.

He walks down the long hallway and turns into a familiar room. It's the room with the piano. I furrow my eyebrows and follow him into it.

"What are we doing in here?" I ask while staring at the beautiful instrument.

"I thought maybe you would want to play." He shrugs and motions for me to sit down in front of it.

I slowly nod as I take a seat, sliding over a bit so he can sit next to me. "Does anyone use this?"