thirty five

Grayson's POV:

My fingers slowly type the last sentence of my english essay. Thank god this shit is over with, I hate doing school work. Letting out a deep breath, I reach for my phone on my desk. No new messages. I quickly lock it and toss it on my bed, swinging around in my computer chair.

"Gray?" Ethan's voice calls from the hallway.

I don't answer, I simply turn my head toward the door. Once it swings open, my brother steps into the room holding an envelope. "This came for you in the mail."

My stomach turns with rushed adrenaline as I snatch the envelope out of his hand. The address says Rider University. I quickly open the sealed message and unfold a typed piece of paper. My eyes scan the words as I begin to read them out loud.

"Dear Grayson. Congratulations, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted for admissions to Rider University for this upcoming fall semester." My eyes widen as my voice trails off.

"Holy shit, you got in!" Ethan yells with excitement.

"No way." I mutter as my eyes continue to scan the words.

"Congratulations, man! I knew you could do it." Ethan pats on my shoulder with a wide smile.

"I can't believe I actually got in." A relieved grin washes over me as I stare up at him.

"We need to celebrate." He says excitedly.

I nervously gulp as I look down. "Uh, I'm not really in the mood to."

"Are you serious? This is major news." His face drops as he tilts his head.

I fold the letter back up and place it on my computer desk. "No celebration." I whisper in annoyance.

"No, don't do this." Ethan shakes his head with a huff.

"Do what?"

"Act like the old you." He rolls his eyes with a sigh.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I scoff while shaking my head.

"You're acting like the conceited douchebag that Stella fixed."

Hearing her name for the first time in four days makes my body tingle. A pit of nerves form in my stomach as I look back at him, glaring with my cold eyes. "I don't want to talk about her."

"Too bad, because we're going to." Ethan takes a seat on my bed and folds his hands together. "It's been a few days, you should call her."

"I don't want to." I mumble while looking down.

"You're lying." He raises his voice in annoyance.

"She doesn't want me, Ethan. She made that very clear when I confessed my love for her and she didn't do shit about it." I tighten my jaw as I swallow more nerves.

"Do you hear yourself right now? Of course she wants you, she's just terrified of opening up to somebody. The last time I checked, so are you." He fires back at me.

"Then why did she go to fucking Tom's? After we shared a moment together that changed my entire view of the world." Thinking back to that night makes my skin heat up. I feel like I finally gave my heart to somebody, and now it's broken.

"Because she was stupid and acting out of impulse. She told me her feelings terrified her and she needed to push them away immediately."

"How do you know?" I tilt my head while carefully staring at him.

"Because I talked to her. She was hysterically crying because she thinks you hate her." He runs a hand through his black hair.

"I'm just confused, and hurt." I admit while gulping.