22.

I've been sitting outside of Erica's apartment for about thirty minutes, debating if I was ready to go inside or not

I've been sitting outside of Erica's apartment for about thirty minutes, debating if I was ready to go inside or not. I was already late, and I know she was probably thinking I wasn't coming at all. I couldn't keep doing this to them.

I took a deep breath and got out of the car, walked to the building. I went up the stairs, and stood in front of her door for a few seconds, before actually knocking. A few seconds later, the door opened and I saw Erica. She looked so exhausted, but still as beautiful as ever. "Hey."

"Hi." She said back, and opening the door wider, letting me inside. I closed the door behind me and watched as she walked towards the bassinet. That baby weight went to all the right places. She picked up the baby and walked closer to me.

"Serenity..meet your daddy..." She said softly, putting her into my arms. She started to fuss for a bit, until I got comfortable and started to hold her the right way, and she calmed down, snuggling into chest. I looked up at Erica, and she smiled, watching us. I sat down on the couch and stared at Serenity for a little bit. She was the most beautiful little thing I've ever seen, it was crazy to me that I created this. Finally holding her, and looking into her eyes made me regret every little moment I've missed so far.

"Hey, baby girl." I said, as she wrapped her tiny hand around my finger. "I'm sorry I took so long to meet you. Daddy was being a big jerk, but from here on out, Imma be here everyday. I promise, okay mamas?" She closed her eyes, smiling a little bit and I kissed her nose.

"She just finished eating, so she's going to go back to sleep." Erica said, sitting down on the other side of the couch. I nodded my head, not knowing what to say to her. "I really wish you were there to see her be born." She said and I looked at her.

"I do too. I'm sorry Erica. I've been a complete dick towards you, and I'm really sorry for that. It's just that the closer it got to her being here, the more scared I got about being a dad. Then she gets here and I realize that I'm completely unprepared. I was at the hospital that night, but I didn't go inside, because I was scared. I was sitting there for hours, trying to convince myself to be there for you, but I just couldn't do it. "

"I know you were scared, but I was scared too Brooklin. I was pushing a child out of my body for the first time ever, and all I wanted was you by my side, to comfort me. I understand that we're not together, but I didn't make her myself and I didn't want to bring her into the world by myself either. All the bullshit we've been through aside, we were friends, and I expected you to be there."

"I know, I fucked up. I've fucked up a lot, but I promise I'm going to be better. Not to just her, but to you too." I said and she sighed.

"I just need you to be good for her, B. I'm fine. I've got all the support for myself I need." She said and I chuckled, looking back down at Serenity, who was sleeping peacefully.

"You mean from that Ryan, nigga?" I said, and she stared at me, not amused. "You haven't been having my daughter around that dude, have you?"

"I have, because you haven't been there. Please don't start with that, Brooklin. He's going to be around, just like the girl you're with is going to around." She said and I rolled my eyes, not in the mood to argue with her right now.