Chapter Twenty-Four

I'm kinda conflicted.... Also i wont be updating tomorrow. I don't update on Sundays.....

The masquerade ball pt 1

One month, Two Weeks Later.

Tristan

July 15

She is so late! I swear if I had known she was gonna take this long to meet me, I would have at least brought my laptop.

Someone taps me on the shoulder, I flipped the news paper close. "Finally you are here." I said.

"I am so sorry! Today is an hectic day for me." Martha said, dramatically.

She plopped down in the empty chair beside me.

"How are the party preparations going so far?" I asked, taking a sip of my lukewarm coffee.

"You already know the answer to that."

"Mmm... oh before I forget." I said.

My mother peers at me curiously. Opening my laptop bag I removed an envelope from inside.

"Happy birthday." I said, pushing the envelope towards her.

"You didn't have to get me anything, but thanks." She accepts the envelope.

I flagged down the waiter.

"So how are things between you and Tiana? Things must have progressed between the two of you." She wiggles her eyebrow at me.

"Tiana and I are not on speaking terms."

"What?" She asked, in confusion.

"I said Tiana and I are...."

She holds up her hand, stopping me. "I heard what you said. I just want to know why aren't you guys speaking?"

A tense silence falls over our table. I just didn't know what to say. It's been almost two months since I last spoke to her and to be honest i don't even know why she ended our friendship. I opened and closed my mouth. The waiter came over and I sighed in relief.

"Good morning,  what can I get you?" He asked.

My mother smiled. "A cup of coffee would do me good." She replies.

He nods his head. "And you sir."

"Another cup of coffee please."

"Okay I'll be back with your orders." He said, before walking off briskly.

Martha stares at me intently.
"Look can we not talk about this?"

"Is there a reason you don't want to talk about it?"

"You know I hate when you do that?"

"Do what?" She asked, innocently.

Instead of answering her, i glared at her. The waiter came back with our orders. Putting down our steaming cups of coffees on the table, he takes up the empty cup. He then excused himself and trots off to another table.

"If you don't wanna talk about it, then fine. Just remember I'm always here if you ever wanna talk." She said, touching my hand.

"Okay."

"So I was wondering....."

"No!"

"You don't even know what I was gonna say." She said, pouting.

"I already do. You want to invite me to your masquerade ball tonight."

"Yes! Will you come?" She asked, bouncing in her seat.

"Mom....."

"Don't mom me! I haven't seen you around since that trip to the cabin!" She whines.
"That's true, but at the same time I was never around." I took a sip of my coffee.

She fans my statement off. "Tristan please! For God sakes today is my birthday. Are you really gonna leave me hanging like this?" Her bottom lip quivers as she stares at me.

"Guilt tripping." I coughed.

She thumps me on the arm. "I'm doing no such thing!"

I chuckled. "Fine mom I'll come, but I'll only stay for an hour or two.... after that I'm out the door." I said wriggling my finger at her.

"Awesome!" She said, beaming.

I know its short... How was it? It sucked didn't it? I know... Oh well tragic.

Have a good day or night... Adios pumpkins