23 | twenty-three

2 3

LIKE A PROPER PROMISE

THEY STAND IN front of the familiar house, the one that everyone probably inside and waiting for them.

As they hit the porch they can hear a loud shriek from inside, Jungkook rush inside without thinking and open the door just to find; a red face of Jennie and the horrific face from rest of them. There's no hint of Alice and her husband, Ivan.

The eight of them snaps their head when realized a loud bang from the front door. Another loud high-pitch shriek comes out as one of the girls jump to Jungkook and hug him so tight.

It's Jisoo.

Thank God Jungkook reflections fast that he ghosting around Jisoo as she clutching her body to him in a childish way. Soon the rest of them catching up and they walk toward Jungkook.

"Yah! Jungkook, where have you been?" it's Namjoon who speak up first. "where's Chaeyoung? you with her right?"

Jungkook blinks, right. Where is she? He loosened Jisoo's hands and turn his head toward the front door.

His eyes soften as he sees her standing right there, like a statue. Without a word, he comes back to her and let out his hand for her.

She glances at him for a moment and hesitates to take his hand. But she did anyway, he lead her to inside the room where the rest stay still waiting for her.

The atmosphere suddenly becomes awkward as they facing Chaeyoung. Lisa opens her mouth but closes it again, Jisoo just staring at her best friend and Jennie couldn't even see her face.

Jungkook can feel Chaeyoung grips tighten and he stroke gently with his thumbs, feel her soft skin and somehow make Chaeyoung little bit calm.

"Uh-" Chaeyoung smiles awkwardly to all of them, "I'm back?"

Taehyung slips a chuckle and walks toward the young woman, he opens his arm widely and Chaeyoung gladly takes his warm hug.

"We miss you, are you okay?" he asks in soothing voice. Chaeyoung nod and loses their hug just to meet the rest of the boys already surrounding her.

A gummy smile flashes on Yoongi but he stands right behind Jimin who gives her a wide ear to ear smile, Hoseok being sunshine as always and Namjoon gives her his lethal dimple on cheeks.

Jungkook sees the girls still stand on their feet, he sighs. The young man grab Chaeyoung wrist gently and turns her to facing her best friends. Chaeyoung breathe stuck as her eyes fixate to the girls.

They need to fix this, it's so weird to see the girls fight and silent treatment toward each other.

"So, who's gonna go first?" Jungkook arches his eyebrow and looks back and forth to the girls. "Chae? Noona?"

Jennie takes a deep breath and take a step forward to Chaeyoung who stand behind Jungkook's back. Jennie eyes turns blue when see her best friend make a distance with her. Jungkook feels sorry for her but Jennie must through this first to warm up with Chaeyoung.

"Chaeng, we — I am so sorry," Jennie emphasizes as her voice little bit cracks, "I shouldn't do that and I know I promised you not telling Jungkook and others but I really don't want to see you through everything alone, not when you have us."

Chaeyoung takes a deep inhale and finally, finally not hide behind Jungkook's back. "Me too."

She put a genuine smile on her face and let go Jungkook's hand just to facing her girls friend. Chaeyoung pull Jennie to her embrace and hug her so tight. Jennie caught the guard off for a second but eventually wraps around her arms to Chaeyoung's and sniffing on her shoulder.

"I know I shouldn't snap like that, I should thank you and the rest of you for done that to me. If it isn't you unnie, I don't think the boys will know about this." She sound soft on Jennie's ear, sincerely, "it's okay and I'm sorry too, unnie. I really do."

A tear ride down Chaeyoung's cheeks and follows up by others, now both of them crying make the boys wide their eyes but smile another seconds, it just typical of the girls. The place changes into warm as Jisoo and Lisa stretch their arms to group hug with each other.

They stay like that for minutes, just to break when Jimin asks, "so what's next?"

Everyone staring at Chaeyoung as if she's the only one who needs to talk. Well, she is. She switches her gaze to Jungkook for a second and he nods, bunny smile forms on his face.

Taking a deep breathe and let out with an awkward smile, for the first time after all the damage, the struggles, the miserable they through, Jungkook hear how sure Chaeyoung for answering that question.

"I'll do my best to fight for it," she says, her eyes scanning everyone inside the room.

She doesn't know what she did in the past for receiving people like all of them. Changing from an awkward smile to a very genuine smile. She asks back, "you guys stay too right?"

The boys take a step forward, Namjoon pat her head gently and Jungkook almost scream on his hyung face to put his hand on her but he stop himself knowing its freaking stupid.

"We always stay, Chaeyoungie. We will never let you walk alone."

And that is sound like a proper promise they won't break for Chaeyoung.