Chapter 21

"Amarin, Karn!" Sujin rushed after them, running out of breath. They were walking hand in hand towards the school exit, leaving after their afternoon classes were done.

"You are both so cute." She had to comment when she approached them and noticed how Amarin quickly let go of his boyfriend hand. They weren't hiding their relationship, the whole school knew since it got out they're sharing the same dorm room. Yet, it was a still a bit awkward. Being affectionate towards each other in front of others wasn't something they were comfortable with.

"What's up?" Karn asked, a bit curious. Every time their friend had something urgent, it was worth it.

"Amarin won, the first prize! Trip for two to the hot springs!" She announced with dramatic voice and made a trumpet sounds. Both of them gave her a surprised look, not understanding what she's talking about.

"The contest!" She reminded them, still very excited. Karn started catching up, but Amarin was still confused.

"What contest? I don't know about anything... have you signed me up for something without me knowing again?" Amarin frowned suspiciously on his boyfriend.

"It's not like that. I guess I need to explain few things to you, since you don't remember. Just take it easy." Karn looked at Sujin with favor in his eyes, hoping he doesn't need to explain. She just nodded, understanding everything, as always.

"It sucks to be only single member of the group. Gotta go!" She sighed softly and left. Amarin wanted to stop her but Karn squeezed his hand, signing him he should not.

"What is this all about?" He asked when they sat down on a bench in the park in front of the building.

"It's nothing much, but the day you've fallen into the coma... it was right after you've performed your song at the Halloween competition. I think they didn't disqualify you and many people have voted. I thought nobody cares anymore, but it seems like you won." Karn smiled a bit and put his hand on Amarin's leg. He was a bit afraid of how will his boyfriend react to events he can't remember. Karn was warned in the hospital to put as little stress on patient's shoulders as possible, and not being able to remember something sounded stressful enough.

"Have I really done that?" He asked in disbelief, having a very difficult expression for Karn to read.

"Yes."

"Have I really sang the song?"

"Yes."

"Oh my..." He hid his face in his palms, his ears getting red. Amarin recalled some short of dream that sounded pretty similar. "I can't believe I've won with something like that. This is embarrassing..." He muttered to himself, still hiding from his boyfriend's curious eyes.

"You were really amazing. You always are." Karn said with serious face. He could finally understand what the whole song was about... how it was one of major hints on Amarin's health situation and his feelings.

"Do you want to go?" Amarin asked, referring to the trip. Karn looked at him, just to see his boyfriend peeking at him through his fingers. Could he be any cuter? 

"Yes, but only with you."

"Dummy, who else would want to go with you anyway?"

*** **** ****

"May I turn the light off?" Karn asked, having the finger on the switch.

"Yeah." Amarin heard a click sound and his boyfriend crawling up to bed moments later.

"Goodnight." He said, when they were both lying comfortably, holding each other's hand.

"'Night."

Amarin fell asleep pretty quickly, giving the headache he'd been experiencing past few days. It wasn't that bad yet, there was nothing he or anyone could do about it. These were just the symptoms signalizing he doesn't have much time left. Doing much ado about everything would only cause Karn to worry even more.

He was awaken mere two hours after falling asleep to unknown sounds. They weren't loud, more like he couldn't almost hear them, but his heart could. Amarin didn't have to turn around and face his boyfriend to know. He couldn't do that either way, because he would know that he'd waken him up.

Karn was crying.

Quietly and softly, trying his best to calm down. He needed to get his feelings out and it wasn't possible during the day, while spending almost the whole time with Amarin. Pretending like nothing is happening was more tiring than he would ever admit.

Smiling, ignoring Amarin's painful expressions or minor memory loss was very difficult to endure and deal with. He'd sworn to himself he won't show this side to Amarin no matter what, that he will be strong and reliable boyfriend. He will make his love as happy as he's able to.

But he needed a break as well. It has started to be too much and the feelings were slowly building up inside, logging for a release. An uncontrollable cry hit him in the middle of the night and he could do absolutely nothing about it. He couldn't resist, the pain was too great for that.

Despair, sadness, sorrow... it was all filling his heart and soul. Karn felt so useless, he knew there's nothing he can do to make it better.

Treatment? It was far too late for that.

Take the cancer up to himself in Amarin's sake? If it was only possible.

Miracle? Life isn't a fairytale.

And Amarin knew it all along. He knew he wasn't doing the best job at hiding how unwell he was.

They both tried to hide their feelings from each other, both failing. Maybe it was better this way, even if they would talked to each other about the situation, what good would it bring? Only less happy memories as an outcome.

"I love you." Karn whispered when he hugged Amarin from behind, after calming down a bit. It was almost unhearable, like he said it more to himself than to his boyfriend.

Yet, Amarin still heard it.

Our Skyy, Arthit X Kong will be released on 21st December! Best Christmas present ever, I can't wait! So excited~

I'm too tired to check the grammar, feel free to point out any mistakes I've overlooked. I'm literally half asleep.

Vote and comment!